Director of SSS says students should “make the most of college”

Director of SSS says students should make the most of college

by Amy HaugeStaff Writer

5 Questions for April Goers

1. I believe everyone should travel to a third world country at least once. “

2. My proudest moment at Simpson was taking a group of students on one of the chapel’s spring break mission Trips and getting them safely back after driving through a snow storm.

3. I couldn’t live without my friends and family.

4. The last movie that made me cry was “The Notebook.”

5. My favorite Ben and Jerry’s flavor is Cookie’s n’ Cream.

April Goers is in her fourth year with the Students Support Services program at Simpson and entering her second year as the director of the program. Goers received both her Bachelors and Masters degrees from Iowa State University.

Goers began her career at Simpson in the Upward Bound program. She said that the community at Simpson was what drew her here four years ago.

“The faculty, students and staff are all wonderful, and the campus is beautiful,” Goers said. “Simpson is the perfect size. You really feel a sense of community here.”

April currently lives in Pleasant Hill with her husband and two sons. When she’s not busy with SSS she enjoys Iowa State University athletics, tennis, decorating and crafts, and traveling.

Although she said she loves her job at Simpson, if she were to pick another occupation, it would be something totally different.

“I guess I have always been intrigued in being a pilot in the Air Force,” Goers said.

Goers said that the SSS program is vital to Simpson in that it provides students with opportunities to help them to be successful not only at Simpson, but beyond.

“We have the luxury of working very lcosely with our students and getting to know them well, and have a lot of fun in the process,” Goers said.

Goers said that the main piece of advice she would have for Simpson students would be to enjoy their time here.

“Make the most of your college experience,” she said. “Embrace every opportunity you can. It will be one of the best journeys of your life.”

As for embracing the opportunnities in her own life, Goers said that while she loves many parts of Simpson, the aspect she likes the most is simply, the students.