Students present at third annual summer research symposium

by Kendra FrushGuest Writer

On Wednesday, Sept. 24, students from a variety of majors will gather to present their summer research experiences in Carver Science Center at the annual Summer Research Symposium.

The annual event will highlight the accomplishments of Simpson students who have completed research both on campus and off. Students will be presenting in poster and oral formats, with talks beginning at 6 p.m. in Jordan Lecture Hall.

Now in it’s third year, the symposium will consist of 20 students, each presenting in areas of chemistry, biology, physics, computer science, and mathematics. Many of the research experiences were organized through the National Science Foundation’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates (R EU) program.

One such student is senior Erin Vinnedge, a mathematics and economics major.

According to Vinnedge, her presentation will focus on her summer spent in Worcester, Mass. at an REU. There she studied applied mathematics in a group of 11 students at Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Her presentation, titled Modeling Heterogeneity in Glioblastoma Multiforme, will include a discussion of the growth and development of a brain tumor using a system of partial differential equations.

Erin chose to spend her summer doing research in order to get experience before going to graduate school and to help her in deciding if she wanted to continue her education after graduating.

“Research as an undergraduate gives you the opportunity to explore other things you wouldn’t normally be able to study,” Erin said. “I got to meet a lot of new people and go to new places.”

Senior Allison Boardman worked at the Cincinatti Children’s Hospital Research Foundation this summer conducting developmental biology research. She is continuing that research this semester at Simpson.

“It’s been a wonderful experience,” she said. “I hope to continue with bio-medical research in the future as a physician.”

The Summer Research Symposium is in its third year. Anyone is welcome to attend one or all of the presentations. A program with more information will be sent to campus at a closer date. Last year, eight students participated.