Fall Break trips give students opportunity to ‘step outside their comfort zone’

by Chelcee CheersStaff Writer

Every year the RLC, along with CVIL, offers a number of volunteer opportunities for Simpson students. The majority of these trips take place during Fall and Spring Break so that a greater number of students are able to participate.

Because of increasing interest and involvement, there will be two Fall Break trips offered this year.

One trip will be heading to Minneapolis on Oct. 15 and will return Oct. 19. While there, students will work in homeless shelters and food kitchens as well as help St. Paul’s inner city children. One interesting aspect of the trip is that students will be able to enjoy ethnic foods each night of the trip.

“Trips like these are an amazing opportunity to meet new people, give back to others and are a chance to learn about yourself and how you fit into this crazy world,” junior Anna Peterson, president of RLC, said. “I have discovered more about myself and the world from the service trips I have participated in than I have from any class I have taken.”

The second trip will be helping with flood relief in Cedar Rapids Oct. 16 – 18. Students will team up with the First United Methodist Church of Marion, Iowa to clean up local buildings and neighborhoods.

Most student volunteers feel that service experience improves a person in a variety of ways.

Not only can service work be used to build a resume, but through such experiences one can grow and develop as an individual. Those who have participated in service trips before advise their peers to do the same.

“Volunteering does so much for a person,” senior Sadie Bartling said. “I would recommend that everyone engage in some kind of service opportunity. It will be well worth your time.”

Junior Kasey Peteres, Chapel Intern of Mission Products agreed.

“Last year I went to Mexico and it was an amazing experience. I learned a lot about the world, and it allowed me to step outside my comfort zone,” Peters said. “It also allowed me to meet a variety of different people I would have never met if it wasn’t for these trips.”

If you are interested in being a part of one of the Fall Break trips, registration forms can be picked up in the chapel office located in Smith Chapel and must be completed by 4:30 p.m. on Oct 10. For additional information on either of the trips contact Rev. Angela Gafford Asmus at [email protected] or Anne Alesch at [email protected].

In addition to the Fall Break trips, there are other trips currently being planned for the near future.

Kendra Frush is currently working on a service trip to Texas during the first week of Winter Break to aid with hurricane relief. There will also be service opportunities offered during Spring Break which will be announced this upcoming November.