Student center fundraising on track, despite financial worries

by Kelsey KnutsonStaff Writer

Simpson College’s plans for a new student center are coming closer to reality. With money being raised and a lot of alumni support, the new social hub is highly anticipated by students and faculty.However, the recent downturn in the economy has some worried that the center won’t raise the money expected in the allotted time.The approximate cost of the new building is $21 million. As of right now, Simpson is about halfway to its goal, but with the weakening economy, there could be minor setbacks with the project. The original ground breaking year was 2010 or 2011. It may not happen that soon anymore. One factor could be fundraising. “People are wanting to wait on making their commitments to the campus center project until they see what the economy is going to do and when the market might rebound,” Bob Lane, vice president of College Advancement, said.As for financing the project, students are currently paying an extra $100 each year for the new building, and that cost won’t go up. “The new student center will be good for students at Simpson College,” Bob Lane, Vice President for College Advancement, said. “There has been a lot of interest in this project and it’s going to be a state-of-the-art facility.” The new building would be located in between the freshman residence halls of Barker and Kresge. It will also be attached to Pfeiffer Dining Hall, connecting the freshman dorms to each other and the dining service. Great Hall will also be renovated and will be accessible from the freshman dorms. According to President Byrd, the new building will be a whole new atmosphere with a lot of excitement. “It’s going to be the heart of campus,” Byrd said. “There is going to be a lot of energy with a lot going on.” The new facility will be 50,000 square feet and is set to replace the current Brenton Student Center.Built in 1968, the BSC was built for only 700 students. Simpson’s enrollment is twice that now and the new student center will provide the space and opportunity that the growing campus needs. “We’re pretty excited about it,” admissions counselor Tiffany Hummel said. “It’ll be nice for students to be joined to each other and to their dining service.” Hummel also thinks that the new facility will make Simpson more competitive with other schools, and hopefully bring in more students. “It’s going to be good for student and academics,” Hummel said. “The dining hall and student center needed some updates. We’re pretty excited about it.” Byrd also said that it would be the “social hub” of campus. There will be more food selections at Pfeiffer Dining Hall, a larger space for eating and an upscale environment. The lower level of the new facility will include a bookstore, media laboratories and a post office – convenient for students to take care of many errands in one trip. There will also be new state-of-the-art offices for staff and student groups. There will be a new café, casual lounge areas, and student development offices. Byrd also added that new up-to-date facilities are attractive during campus visits for prospective students. “I think it will make Simpson more attractive to students,” Byrd said. “It will enhance the experience at Simpson.”