Nick Proctor and Drew Riebhoff ‘get real’

This is a true story…of a Simpson professor and student…choosing to audition….for a chance to have their lives taped…and be able to see what happens when people stop being polite…and start getting real….ladies and gentleman, meet Nick Proctor and Drew Riebhoff.

On the average day you can find two semifinalists for MTV’s “Real World” roaming around the Simpson College campus. The first being Proctor, associate professor of history who took a crack at it nearly 15 years ago. According to Proctor, he tried out because of pure boredom.

The reality series, “Real World” focuses on the lives of strangers who audition to live together in a house for several months as cameras record their interpersonal relationships. So what sparked these two to want every minute of their life displayed to the public?

“It was the beginning of reality TV and it was interesting,” Proctor said. “I would have to sit and watch until the very the end of each “Real World” episode just to catch the address to send in my application, everything was done by paper back then.”

Junior Drew Riehboff, who applied this winter, had a different motive for wanting to be on the show.

“I like attention and being on the “Real World” would give me lots of attention,” Riehboff said. “I’ve seen episodes that are my life and a half.”

Neither Proctor nor Riebhoff are big fans of the actual show and have seen only a few episodes, but the thrill of being on reality TV and becoming famous was what drew their attention.

Each “Real World” season consists of seven or eight people selected from thousands of applicants from across the country. The group that is chosen typically represents different races, genders, sexual orientations, levels of sexual experience, and religious and political beliefs.

When Proctor auditioned, he had to write in by hand and ask for an application.

He was asked such questions as his opinion on drugs, if he has any anger issues, what things bother him, if he gets into arguments easily, what he likes to do on the weekends, and what would be the one thing that he would be reluctant to let them film.

According to Proctor he wouldn’t have fit into any of the “tropes” that are in the show. He does not consider himself the “All American Guy” or the “Jerk,” like the typical guys on the show. However, Proctor did say that at the time of his audition, he was very into environmental activism and probably would have chained himself to a tree during the show.

Riebhoff said taking part in the series would have been a new and exciting experience.

“I wanted a chance to do something completely different,” Riehboff said. “Anyone who roughly knows me would tell you that I would fit in perfectly and would have brought a lot of fun in the form of entertainment and inappropriateness.”

Sophomore Amanda Ita, one of many students who watches the television show, said it would be neat to see people she knows take part.

“I’m a big fan of “The Real World” and it would be really exciting to have someone I actually know on the show,” Ita said. “I’m sure that lots of people from here would watch. Who knows, maybe I’ll try in the future.”

Riebhoff thinks the casting crew looks for specific things in each cast member. During his interview process, they were intrigued by his being gay and from a small town in rural Iowa. They also liked that he leads a busy life full of craziness.

The appeal of leading a famous life as a cast member of the “Real World” has died for Proctor, but Riehboff is currently filming his next application video.

So, if students feel like they can fit the stereotype of a “Real World” cast member, Riebhoff says to give it a shot.

He also warns to keep watching and expect to see a familiar face one day, because according to Riebhoff, he will get on that show.