Students celebrate, educate during Women’s History Month

Students celebrate, educate during Womens History Month

Whether male or female, the month of March may offer a lot to think about. March is Women’s History Month, and thanks to a variety of student groups, Simpson’s campus will be scattered with events and activities dedicated to recognizing women and their contributions within society.

“Women’s History Month is meant to educate, remember, and empower,” sophomore Anna Holley, president of SOPHIA, said. “It celebrates how far women have come throughout history.”

This year, SOPHIA, a group interested in the issues faced by women, will be hosting two events. The first is a film festival which will focus on “women in action” and will be held March 16, 18 and 20. Each film will begin at 7 p.m. and will take place in Room 110 of McNeill Hall.

The second event hosted by SOPHIA will be a panel discussion comprised of Simpson professors who will explain what feminism is and what it means to them. The discussion will be held in Camp Lounge at 7 p.m. on March 31.

The Clothesline Project, a silent demonstration protesting violence against women, will also return to Simpson this March, marking its third consecutive year on campus.

“Shirt of all kinds are decorated with an anti-violence against women message and are hung all over campus,” senior Josie Rundlett, co-director of the clothesline project, said.

Rundlett explained the importance of the demonstration.

“These shirts serve a two-fold purpose,” she said. “They anonymously show how many people have been affected by violence against women as well as offer support to women who are suffering from domestic violence in silence.”

Rundlett hopes this year’s project will inspire interest and participation from younger students so the event can continue on campus in the years to come.

“This year I hope to be getting more underclassmen involved so the project will continue into the future,” Rundlett said.

Another event returning to campus for the third year is the “Vagina Monologues,” which will be co-sponsored by Planned Parenthood. The performance will take place March 27 and 28 in Camp Lounge at 7 p.m.

“We have a cast of about 25 women this year,” senior Chelsea Donison, co-coordinator of Simpson’s “Vagina Monologues,” said.

With the return of the Clothesline Project and the “Vagina Monologues,” as well as new events debuting for this year’s Women’s History Month, some students are drawing conclusions about the potential importance of such events.

“The events that occur on campus during Women’s History Month are fabulous,” junior Karen Hart said.

Hart considers Women’s History Month to be a way for students to become aware of societal issues and the women who are attempting to break through gender barriers.

“All too often problems in our society are overlooked because ‘that’s the way it has always been’,” Hart said. “Hopefully during Women’s History Month, people can stop to think about what has been and what we still can, and need, to do to change the perception of women within our society.”