New IM class teaches students how to run

by Lexie HagertyStaff Writer

Running may not be for everyone, but according to one Simpson College student, learning how to run may not be as bad as people think.

Simpson intramurals is offering a new program on campus called, “Learn to Run.”

Senior Katie Larsen is teaching the class and hopes it will teach participants to enjoy running.

“If you really push yourself for 20-30 minutes and do interval training, it is a very efficient way to exercise,” Larsen said.

The class will meet every Friday morning at 6:30 a.m. The class began March 18 and will continue as long as there is interest.

“It is a trial session,” Nicole Darling, assistant director of student activities/intramurals said. “This will be something new, and I already know of a lot of interest.”

The class is open to anyone on campus, as well as any members in the community that would like to join.

“I am always hoping to get more of anyone,” Darling said. “Our other aerobics classes attracted faculty, students and community members. I am up for anyone to participate.”

Larsen came up with the idea to teach individuals to love running. She ran sprints in high school, but found a love for long-distance once she completed a marathon of her own.

“Never in a million years would I have imagined that I could say that I successfully completed 26.2 miles,” Larsen said. “It was the most rewarding experience of my life.”

Larsen said her main goal is to change the misconception that running isn’t fun.

Freshman Emma Stevenson said besides getting healthy, it could be a chance to meet new people.

“It’s an opportunity to get involved, meet people and have fun,” Stevenson said. “Even if you are a beginner, you can do it without having any prior training.”

Stevenson attends two to three fitness classes a week.

“I am not involved right now in sports on campus,” Stevenson said. “So being involved in these classes helps me to stay active.”

Simpson offers several different aerobics classes throughout the week, including yoga, water aerobics and kick boxing.

“It is beneficial not just for Simpson students, but for anyone with health problems,” Stevenson said. “I started going to these fitness classes and felt better. I did better in academic classes and had more energy throughout the day.”

All of the aerobics classes are free. However, the cost for these classes can range from $30-120 per session in other fitness centers.

Darling said having a running class is even more cost effective. It does not require any machines, mats or weights.

“Running is something you can do lifelong,” Darling said.

Stevenson said the only problem she sees with the class is the time at which it is being taught.

“I don’t think students make time for the classes,” Stevenson said.

Larsen said she hopes that students will give it the chance even though it is in the morning.

“My hope is that people will give the class a try, have fun with it, keep an open mind about it and hopefully experience a running high,” Larsen said. “Early mornings are tough, but if you get used to it, you are more alert and ready for the day. You just feel good about yourself.”

Stevenson said she hopes students will take advantage of all of the aerobics classes, especially the running class.

“They are all different from other intramurals,” Stevenson said. “You aren’t out to score or win or beat an opponent. It is a positive challenge for yourself.”