All-Simpson Team

by Gabe Gilson & Tyler LarsonStaff Writers

BaseballSenior Jesse ReisReis has started all 25 games for the Storm at second base and is among the conference leaders in many statistical categories. Reis leads the Iowa Conference in walks taken with 21. He is second in home runs and on-base percentage with four dingers and a .566 on-base percentage. Reis is also slugging .699 which is good enough for fourth in the conference and is batting .411, which was good enough for eighth. Through 25 games, the Storm is 15-10.

Women’s TrackJunior Lauren BucklinThe highlight of the indoor track and field season for Lauren Bucklin came during the NCAA Nationals at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, Ind., where she ran well enough for fifth place in the 55-meter hurdles at a time of 8.23. During the indoor conference meet, Bucklin ran 8.13 in the 55-meter hurdles, which was good enough for first place. She also won fourth place in the 200-meter dash and was a member of the second place teams in the 4×200 and 4×400.

SwimmingSenior Kirsten TowneKirsten Towne was a part of six record-breaking performances this season for the Storm. Towne broke records individually in the 100-meter butterfly, the 50-meter freestyle and the 100-meter freestyle. As part of relays, Towne anchored records for the Storm in the 200-meter freestyle relay, the 400-meter medley relay and also was a part of the record breaking 400-meter freestyle relay team.

FootballSenior Adam ReutzelReutzel had one of his best years. He set a new school record with 1,504 rushing yards. Reutzel also led the Storm with 12 touchdowns.One of the season’s highlights for Reutzel was defeating Central College 24-17 in overtime in the final game of the season.”This year went pretty well,” Reutzel said. “We wished to win conference, but anytime you have a winning season and beat Central is a pretty good season.”

Women’s BasketballSenior Carrie LarsonAfter a very successful senior campaign, senior Carrie Larson was honored as the IIAC Most Valuable Player. Larson led the Storm in scoring with 11.3 points per game and was fifth in the league in three-point percentages with 42.2 percent. She provided valuable leadership to a very talented team that won the Iowa Conference for the second consecutive year and for the fourth time in the past seven years.

Men’s Cross CountrySenior Eric Osterhaus Osterhaus received All-Region honors for the second consecutive season to lead Simpson at the NCAA Division III Central Regional Championships Nov. 15 in Grinnell. Osterhaus finished 11th with a time of 25:51.

Men’s TennisSophomore Noah SaundersNoah Saunders has been the most consistent tennis player so far this year for the Storm. The sophomore is 5-5 in individual competitions this year and has comprised a record of 7-3 in doubles matches.”When we go to a match I’m basically listening 50 percent to my coach and 50 percent to my gut,” Saunders said. “My gut tells me to smack the ball and my coach says to play smart and only go for your shots when they’re there.”

Women’s SoccerJunior Mollie McMahonMcMahon was a second team All-Conference mid-fielder for the Storm in her third campaign. She was second in the team in goals and points. She was also third in assists.”This season was a great improvement from last season,” McMahon said. “We finished [in a tie] for third this year.” Women’s TennisSenior Jess NimsNims participated in both singles and doubles. She is a letter-winner in tennis and went 5-12 in doubles.

Men’s GolfSophomore Matt SpauldingThough the team has only had one meet, Spaulding has shot a 72 this season and has been the most consistent golfer for the Storm so far. In the spring when the golf team went to Texas on a golf trip, Spaulding said he had an excellent trip and golfed very well.”My goals are to stay focused and hit the ball down the middle and make some putts,” Spaulding said. “If things roll the right way, I always seem to be in contention.”

Men’s TrackSenior Zach SmithDuring the indoor track season, Zach Smith dominated the competition in every event he competed in. Smith placed third at the indoor conference meet in the 55-meter dash with a time of 6.50. He got second in the long jump with a leap of 22-7. Smith won the conference triple jump with a leap of 45-06.25.”Every time I compete I try to set a new standard of excellence for myself,” Smith said.

Men’s BasketballJunior Tim DunlavyDunlavy had another terrific season for the Storm on the court. The junior averaged 16.2 points and 6.8 rebounds. Dunlavy was a first-team All-Conference selection for the second straight year. Dunlavy is a mere 34 points away from being only the 17th Storm basketball player to score 1,000 career points.

SoftballJunior Whitney OviattOviatt has been dominating on the mound this spring for the Storm. So far she has the most wins in the conference and is 16-6 on the year with a 1.35 earned run average. She has pitched the most innings in the IIAC by over 50 innings at 155.2. She is also second in the conference in strikeouts at 145.

Women’s Cross CountrySophomore Catie EllingsonEllingson led the team this season, receiving All-Conference honors for the second year. She finished 14th with a time of 21:39.26. “The season went okay, but our team wanted to do better,” Ellingson said. “We beat a lot of teams over the course of the season, but did not finish the season as well as we would have liked.”

Men’s SoccerJunior Connor SkultetySkultety had another great season for the Storm. He served as co-captain of the team and was named to the Iowa Conference first team All-Conference as a defender. He started 17 games for the Storm and recorded 11 shots on goal.

VolleyballSophomore Amy SchusterSchuster had a fantastic sophomore campaign. Schuster led the team with 366 kills, had 309 digs and was an All-Conference performer.

Women’s GolfJunior Katie VauxVaux took third in this year’s conference tournament. She is a national qualifier and an all-conference performer. Under Vaux’s leadership, the Storm placed fourth at the IIAC Championships.

WrestlingJunior Curtis BarberBarber had another fantastic year this winter for the Storm. After leading the team in wins his freshman and sophomore years, Barber finished his junior season