Simpson preps for H1N1 virus

Simpson preps for H1N1 virus

by Zach JamesStaff Writer

Simpson College had its first scare of the H1N1 virus. However, officials and health services were notified that the results came back negative.

At the time, Stephanie Krauth, associate dean of students, said that it was reasonable to assume that this was an H1N1 case based on the student’s symptoms.

According to Krauth, unless an individual has a pre-existing medical condition, such as diabetes or asthma, seeking a doctor is not necessarily recommended.

“If you’re healthy and start to have flu-like symptoms, they’re not really encouraging you always have to seek out your doctor because it is like the flu, and you have to work through it,” Krauth said. “If you seek out your doctor, they don’t always give tests because by the time they’re able to confirm whether or not it’s H1N1, you’re probably going to be healthy again.”

In a campus-wide e-mail sent last week, Jim Thorius, vice president for Student Development and dean of students, advised students to familiarize themselves with the virus and its symptoms.

“We encourage all members of the campus community to practice preventive behaviors…that are recommended by public health officials to minimize the spread of the flu virus and to become familiar with the signs and symptoms,” Thorius said.

Rita Audlehelm, director of Health Services, also suggested that students become familiar with the virus’ symptoms, which include fever, sore throat, runny nose, body aches, headaches and fatigue. If students experience symptoms, Health Services has flu kits available.

Simpson’s campus officials are working with students to attend to any specific health care needs. If a student has flu-like symptoms, they should notify Health Services by phone or e-mail. Located on Health Services’ Web site, www.simpson.edu/health, is a “self-reporting illness form,” which students can complete without leaving their room. Dining Services is also working with campus