Link joins EWG family

Link joins EWG family

by Amanda YanchuryStaff Writer

Rosemary Link, associate vice president for academic affairs, is the new head of the Evening, Weekend, and Graduate programs at Simpson College.

Link started at Simpson College in August of this year. Link has greatly enjoyed her position thus far.

“The thing I love about the EWG program is the variety of work,” Link said. “It is exciting to offer programs to meet a variety of needs.”

Link recently attended the 2009 Iowa Higher Education Research Conference. At the conference, the focus was on learning styles.

“Students learn in all sorts of ways; not just being lectured at,” Link said. “Colleges need to give (students) the opportunity to demonstrate learning through all sorts of ways — portfolios, co-curricular activities, etc.”

Link noted the importance of catering to students of all backgrounds.

“Student demographics are changing,” Link said. “We treasure our traditional students, and we are also responding to the needs of lifelong learners. Those of all ages; those who live here; commuters; part-time; full-time.”

The EWG program offers graduate degrees in Criminal Justice and Teaching, and as well as many graduate certificates in various fields. Link, who is originally from England, has a passion for higher education.

A typical week in Link’s schedule is full of variety, which Link loves the most about her job. On Mondays, Link meets with the Indianola EWG team and plans for the week. Tuesday is filled with faculty and administrative committee meetings. On Wednesdays, she works at the West Des Moines campus. Thursdays, she meets with her immediate supervisor, Steve Griffith, vice president and dean of Academic Affairs, and other colleagues. And on Fridays, she alternates between the Indianola and Ankeny campuses.

Jennifer Hart, Indianola Campus Director/Academic Adviser of the EWG program, says the EWG program has seen positive results with the institution of Link.

“(Link brings) fantastic energy,” Hart said. “We will see positive changes in our department with new leadership.”

Hart says that the development of the EWG program is a joint effort.

“We work together in a collaborative effort to build EWG’s programs,” Hart said.

In addition to her position at Simpson, Link has published four books and is working on a fifth. They range from policy publications to textbooks. She is particularly interested in children’s rights and has had a number of speaking engagements focusing on this topic and others. Recently, Link spoke at the University of Connecticut on “Understanding the Convention on the Rights of the Child- Children’s Rights: Parents’ Responsibilities.”

Link has enjoyed acclimating to the college and all it entails.

“I try to participate in events of the community,” Link said. “I enjoy getting to know the students. I have also participated in the Creative Writing Reading Series, a student group on campus.”

Senior Kloe Unruh is a traditional student, but took a class last summer through the EWG program.

“The evening class I took had students from a variety of different backgrounds,” Unruh said. “It added to the experience because of the different perspectives they offered. The EWG program seems to be flourishing.”