CAB Homecoming Events

by Ellie Haugen

Each year students, alumni and parents gather around campus to celebrate Homecoming. The Campus Activities Board coordinates many campus activities including homecoming week.

“The week is always a lot of fun, and it is always good to see students get involved in all the different events,” Tyson Wirtz, student body vice president and member of CAB, said.

Traditionally, CAB sponsors the events for Homecoming prior to the football game on Saturday. This year will also have an extra set of events thanks to the Sesquicentennial celebration along with family weekend. It will be a festive week at Simpson College.

“I’m really excited for next week,” senior Jaclyn Westphal, co-chair of this year’s Homecoming CAB committee, said. “I think that putting the 150th celebration and family weekend along with Homecoming will make it a bigger weekend for CAB and families.”

The week of events will begin on Monday with a kickoff bonfire that everyone is welcome to attend.

“There will be pizza for everyone, and the homecoming court will also be announced that night,” Westphal said.

Street-painting will also begin on Monday, Sept. 27 and continue through Thursday, Sept. 30 at the Buxton parking lot. SGA will also be hosting a flag-football tournament on Tuesday night, Sept. 28 for the second year. A prize of $200 will be given to the winning team with a $100 prize for runner-up. The Simpson football team will not be the only Storm sport taking on Luther; the women’s volleyball team will face off against Luther on Wednesday, Sept. 29.

Float, Sink or Swim is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 30. Students construct a boat out of cardboard and duct tape and race it to the other side of Simpson’s pool in the Cowles Center.

“The Float, Sink or Swim last year was so much fun, and the teams got really creative,” sophomore Emily Anderson said. “It is really amazing what people can come up with just using cardboard and duct tape.”

Yell Like Hell will be taking place in the Cowles Center for the first time, and it will be incorporating this year’s theme of “Rock the Red and Gold.”

“The event is very much like ‘Stomp the Yard’,” Westphal said.

However, the most competitive activity of the week is often times the search for the medallion. Westphal, alongside fellow co-chair senior, Erin Floro, will send e-mails out daily with clues as to where the medallion may be found on campus. The finder will win $250.

To top off the week of pre-game events students will be given the chance to participate in BINGO, and every prize has a Simpson theme.

Many families will be able to take part in multiple events this year with Homecoming overlapping with the 150th celebrations that are still underway. Simpson is on track to make this Homecoming week one of the most memorable.