Geer, signing off
Geer, signing off
by Caleb Geer, Ad Manager/Web Editor • April 27, 2024

I didn’t know what the hell I wanted to do with my life when I showed up on campus in the middle of the pandemic almost four years ago. I knew...

Looking back at my time at Simpson
Looking back at my time at Simpson

It all started with soup. No, really, let me explain. I was so passionate about the soup in SubConnection as a first year that it caught the...

So long, farewell, I’ve got no more stories to tell
by Jenna Prather, Editor-in-chief • April 27, 2024

Unlike my fellow student media seniors who’ve written this before me, I came into Simpson knowing exactly what I wanted to do. I did independent...

Review: Godzilla x Kong

We’ve always wanted to see a showdown of the greatest. For instance, LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan, a 1v1 to settle the debate about who truly is the greatest of all time. 

Well, the big picture gave us a battle of the GOATS, but it wasn’t in basketball. Godzilla vs. Kong is a disastrous battle between these two monsters that have been seen throughout our history of cinematic fiction. Yet they are no longer separate in the film; rather, we see them together in their monstrous glory for round two. 

There was a lot of anticipation building before the film’s final release. So many films have seen these two battle monsters, humans and everything in between, even having a movie before this one of the reapers of destruction having a tussle. 

Although, that film left viewers with no true closure as to who was the winner. Just as Harry Potter’s final movie was split in two, the beasts that rule the lands are in for the same treatment. 

All action and adventure movie lovers have their dreams fulfilled as this movie is all about action and adventure. Even those who are into thriller movies would enjoy this film, as it has a little something for everyone.

We have a great buildup to the fight, as you can’t simply start with these two icons throwing haymakers the whole time even the most enthused action lovers would be tired of a constant battle. Rather we have a tension rising between the two and the supporters for each. 

We see preparation for battle between each side getting ready for the highest test, each other. We don’t get the classic boxing training montage rather, a thrill and suspense that builds on itself. 

A suspense like nuclear war, a suspense that only gets tighter and tighter before the final showdown and possible end of humanity. This just further proves that this film is for green-screen action lovers, but some amateur viewers can be let down. It relies on CGI heavily, and this can become an annoyance to those who get bored of CGI or simply do not like it. 

However, it is integral to the film as, sadly, there is no 50-foot ape or 90-foot lizard dragon breathing, lighting fire, and sucking in radiation. Yet it stands as an enticing, entertaining film that will leave you wanting more. 

The battles and execution of the film are unmatched by the prior films as we see Adam Wingard’s brainchild come to life before our very lives. Overall I would have to rate this film a solid 8.2/10 as it held my attention for nearly two hours but made it feel like 30 minutes. 

The beef between Kong and Godzilla may never be completely squashed until it does, and we, as viewers, will only come to benefit from the entertaining captivating and imaginative world of monsters. In the end, you will have to see for yourself who is the “Greatest Of All Time” or, should I say, the “Baddest Of All Time.”