Geer, signing off
Geer, signing off
by Caleb Geer, Ad Manager/Web Editor • April 27, 2024

I didn’t know what the hell I wanted to do with my life when I showed up on campus in the middle of the pandemic almost four years ago. I knew...

Looking back at my time at Simpson
Looking back at my time at Simpson

It all started with soup. No, really, let me explain. I was so passionate about the soup in SubConnection as a first year that it caught the...

So long, farewell, I’ve got no more stories to tell
by Jenna Prather, Editor-in-chief • April 27, 2024

Unlike my fellow student media seniors who’ve written this before me, I came into Simpson knowing exactly what I wanted to do. I did independent...

Review: Making history at The Grammys

Hosted by Trevor Noah,  the Grammys were held Sunday night on CBS from the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles, Calif.

The night started with a debut performance of “Training Season” from Dua Lipa and the first award given out was for Best Pop Solo Performance, which was awarded to Miley Cyrus. This was her first Grammy win after years of hits. Cyrus also won Best Record of The Year with her song “Flowers,” followed by a performance of the song.

A touching moment occurred when Luke Combs performed “Fast Car” with Tracy Chapman, who wrote and recorded the song in 1988 and won a Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Performance in 1989.  The performance got everyone in the crowd listening and moved them somehow.

The performance moved everyone in the crowd.

Many other artists performed on stage, including SZA, Billie Elish, Oliva Rodrigo and Travis Scott. Billy Joel stood out in his performance of his newest single in three decades, “Turn The Lights Back On” and Joni Mitchell, who performed for the first time on the Grammy stage at 80 years old.. She was accompanied by Brandi Carlisle, Jacob Collier and others. 

Most people know what the Sphere is in Las Vegas, but no cameras have been allowed inside to see a performance until Sunday night. The Grammys had U2 perform, and for the first time, we got to see what the inside of the Sphere looked like. It’s a huge domed building with a 3D screen, and the colors, flashes and 3D effects made for a mesmerizing performance.

For all the Swifties out there, Taylor Swift won Best Pop Album and Album of The Year. Her producer, Jack Antonoff, won Best Producer for the album Midnights. During her speech for winning Best Pop Album, she mic dropped a big announcement that she has been holding in for two years. She is releasing a new album on April 19 called “The Tortured Poets Department.” Swift also broke a record by winning Album of The Year for the fourth time, the most of any artist ever recorded.  

The most heartfelt moment in the Grammys is always the In Memoriam segment. We lost many good musicians this year: Clarence Avant, Sinead O’Connor, Harry Belafonte, Jimmy Buffett and more.

Stevie Wonder performed a duet in memory of Tony Bennett. The fact that Tony Bennett was a big ally for the Civil Rights Movement shows how impactful his music was to the world. 

A tribute to Tina Turner ended the memorial with Fantasia Barrino performing Turner’s hit song “Proud Mary.”

Jay-Z won Dr. Dre’s Global Impact Award. In his speech, he said performers should keep pursuing their talents and not focus on awards until they feel satisfied with their product. He also made jabs at the Grammys by saying Beyoncé has more Grammys than anyone but has never won Album of The Year. 

The internet is fired up about how The Best New Artist category went. Victoria Monét, an R&B Pop singer, won Best New Artist and among the nominees were Gracie Abrams, Fred Again, Noah Kahan, Ice Spice, Jelly Roll, Coco Jones and The War and Treaty. 

This was an insane list of new artists and all of them are great in their own ways. Some people are saying Noah Kahan and Jelly Roll got snubbed in this category, but that is for you to decide.

The Grammys are always a fun night of music and awards, and I can’t wait to see what the 2025 Grammys has in store.