Photo from the Des Moines Register
Former Simpson professor sentenced to 10 years
by Kenzie Van Haaften, Editor-in-chief • April 26, 2024

Gowun Park, a former assistant professor of economics at Simpson who faced kidnapping and murder charges back in 2020, pled guilty on Thursday,...

Auditing changes lead to missing funds and mass confusion
by Ryan Magalhães, Feature Editor • April 26, 2024

Several faculty advisors realized last week that their organization’s accounts did not have the funds that they expected. This left some organizations...

Review: The Tortured Poets Department
Review: "The Tortured Poets Department"

Well, hello there, fellow tortured poets. I’m glad you’re here. At least “here” on The Simpsonian website. This is my final review of...

Accomplishing what most teams don’t

+++The+players+for+this+years+season+said+that+it+feels+%E2%80%98special%2C%E2%80%99+%E2%80%98amazing%E2%80%99%2C+and+%E2%80%98awesome%E2%80%99+to+be+a+part+of+such+a+huge+milestone+for+this+program.%0A
Photo submitted to the Simpsonian, graphic by Kyrsten Rehberg
The players for this year’s season said that it feels ‘special,’ ‘amazing’, and ‘awesome’ to be a part of such a huge milestone for this program.

Hitting the 50th season is a huge accomplishment for any team and everyone involved and that’s what Simpson’s Women’s Basketball team has done.

Half a century of play has seen a strong tradition of accomplishments, including 14 conference championships, eight conference tournament championships and many individual player successes. 

“I think we need to thank all the players and coaches who were here when Title IX started and how they built the foundation for women’s sports,” Women’s Basketball Head Coach Brian Niemuth said.

When Title IX passed in 1972, Simpson had no women’s sports, and now, in 2023, has 11, including basketball.

“Women’s basketball has experienced tremendous growth over the past 50 years, and our program certainly has contributed to that growth,” Bell said. 

“The standards and expectations that Coach Niemuth has instilled for many years and recruiting great players who are willing to uphold and exceed those standards,” Senior guard Molly Lutmer said.

Players have seen big accomplishments during their time here, including winning the conference championship and making it to the national tournament in the 2021-22 season, going undefeated during conference play and being able to host the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. 

“I think the success of the Women’s basketball team has come from the dedication and work ethic of past and present players, coaches and staff,” Junior guard Hayley Rasmussen said. “Everyone that is a part of the women’s basketball program knows what it takes to have a program with so much success and that’s what drives everyone to be so dedicated to what we are doing each and every day.”

But this program didn’t always look so successful, it takes time and effort to get where Simpson is today.

“We all want to keep that legacy going and keep putting Simpson Women’s Basketball on everyone’s radar,” Rasmussen said. “To be that team, we will have to take it one practice and one game at a time.”

The women’s basketball team’s first game will be on Friday, Nov. 10 at 6:00 p.m. against Hanover in Rock Island, Ill. Their first home game is on Nov. 14 at 7:00 p.m. against Faith Baptist Bible College.