Top five places to study

Photo submitted by Tanner Krueger

by Quinn Slaven, Staff Reporter

As the semester picks up for Simpson College students, so does the homework. When it comes to studying, your location can be just as important as the textbook. For some, it’s hard to be productive in the commotion-filled dorms. Others may just want a chance to get out for some fresh air. Not all study spots are created equal, so try out one of these five places next time you have schoolwork to tackle.

1. Kent Campus Center

Depending on the time of day, Kent is either ideally tranquil or hectic. It’s usually packed around lunchtime and seating is scarce. However, with options like Millie’s—open from 7:15 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Fridays and 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.—your caffeine fix is just a few steps away. 

1. Dunn Library, First Floor

Thankfully, every building on Simpson’s campus is just a short walk away—Iowa State’s campus is more than 21-times the size of Simpson’s—but for first-years trying to navigate the layout early in the semester, Dunn Library is in the perfect spot. On the first floor, students have access to magazines and newspapers, a computer lab and the ever-important academic coaches and tutors.

If you prefer complete silence while you work, this might not be the place. The fountain in the lobby paired with regular foot-traffic provide a little background noise. Still, it’s nothing compared to your roommate. 

1. Carver Science Center

If you don’t have any classes in Carver—or if you can’t get enough of the ambiance—be sure to check it out for a study session. Tables and lamps in the main corridor give it a classic college feel, and the walls lined with exotic animals make it one of the most unique buildings on campus. It also features three computer labs available to students and a cadaver lab—but stay out of there. 

1. Blank Performing Arts Center

You may recognize the Blank Performing Arts Center (BPAC) as the home of the Des Moines Metro Opera, but did you know it has classrooms available for students in the evenings? It’s a great location for students living on the western edge of campus. You may even hear the actors preparing An Enemy of the People, which opens at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 11. 

1. Dunn Library, Second Floor

Last, but certainly not least, is the second floor of Dunn Library. The second floor is absolutely deserving of its own rank—separate from the first floor. There, students are greeted by the aroma of old and new books. They can claim a table with friends or retreat to a private desk. If you want even more seclusion, feel free to take one of three classrooms. It’s quiet. It’s versatile. Dunn Library provides the best possible environment for productive studying. 

Next time you find yourself with an intimidating mountain of homework, start by choosing the right location. Set yourself up for success by checking out one of these or find your own place. College gets busy—productive work is the name of the game.