Letter to the Editor

by Letter to the Editor

To the Simpsonian Staff,

When I read the article about the incident involving Andrea Kinnetz and Jeffery Sailer I was very sad that the Simpsonian choose to report on it. This has to be a very hard time for both of them as they are trying to figure out how to put their lives back together and to try to return to a level of normalcy.

“The Simpsonian” should have realized that although the police were called and an arrest was made, it is not something that should have been made more public. This is a serious occurrence in both of their lives and also a very personal one.

Simpson takes pride in providing an intimate environment for their students, so they can be comfortable and succeed. By writing this story, you have ostracized Andrea from the majority of the campus and abused the intimate environment. It is now too small for her to escape what you have written.

For those who don’t already know her, she will forever be the “domestic abuser.” She will never be able to escape the label that you have given her. Andrea’s reputation has forever been tainted and although her actions are what got her in trouble, they shouldn’t have been made public.

The entire situation has been blown out of proportion since the night of the incident and now it is being made into an even bigger deal. Andrea lived across the hall my freshman year, and I know Jeff from him coming over, but I haven’t spent much time with her since. I do know that she is a good person and that this event was just a very misfortunate happening.

I am just extremely disappointed that “The Simpsonian” choose to publish a story that put a student on display in such a negative way just to get a good story. This happens too much in our nation already, but those usually come from people who don’t care about the people they are writing about.

Simpson cares about their students. Although the story was factual, it still just seems like middle school gossip. The Simpsonian needs to be about promoting Simpson activities, good things being done by current and former students and staff, and new ideas the students should be informed about. It should not be used to embarrass students and put them under a microscope.

I’m sorry if I have offended you, but I just felt someone needed to stand-up for Andrea who wasn’t in Kappa or one of her best friends.

Thank you for your time,

Jayna Fischbach