CROP walk advocates for hunger


by Amanda Hintgen

The Simpson College Religious Life Community (RLC) hosted a CROP Hunger walk on Sunday, September 30 at 1 p.m.

RLC raised $904, as well as five boxes of nonperishable goods.

“I am extremely happy with this year’s CROP walk results,” Megan Wallingford, Chapel Intern of Justice and Mission said.

This year’s results were a tremendous improvement compared to 2011, Wallingford said. In attendance were 36 people who walked the Indianola square and Buxton Park. The goal of the CROP Hunger Walk is to advocate for hunger at home and all around the world.

The donations are spilt between two organizations. Helping Hands located here in Warren County will receive 25 percent, where the other 75 percent will go to the Church World Services.

Helping Hands, located just off campus at 109 East Clinton Avenue, Indianola, provides clothing and household items to Warren County residents at no charge.

“To get food from the food pantry, you have to have a referral from someone like Human Services, Red Rock Community Action, Veterans and other places,” Peggy Kruse, Executive Director of Helping Hands said.

Residents are allowed to come to Helping Hands every two months for food.

“When people come to get food they fill out a sheet, and they get to choose what items what they want and we give them a seven day supply,” Kruse said.

Helping Hands has a variety of nonperishable goods available as well as perishable goods that are kept in refrigerators. Food donations, as well as free will money donations provide the resources for Helping Hands to be able to have this program.

Household items are available when needed and there is currently no set limit on how often a person can come in as long as there is moderation.

“We have the right to limit everything,” Kruse said.

Church World Service (CWS) was founded in 1946 and “works with partners to eradicate hunger and poverty and to promote peace and justice around the world.”

To donate to CWS visit or stop by Helping Hands here in Indianola or The Smith Chapel.

“I want to challenge everyone on campus to continue to take small steps to end world hunger,” Wallingford said.