Kenny is working hard for Storm football

by Olu Rotibi

Hard work pays off and Tyler Kenny has seen it with his own eyes. After his freshman campaign at Simpson last season, sophomore running back Tyler Kenny has made impressive strides this season.

With a performance of 18 rushes for 132 yards Oct.13 vs. Loras College, Tyler Kenny has proved to be one of the keys to the Storm football team’s success on the gridiron. Kenny has shown glimpses of excellence especially with his performance last season against Cornell rushing for 34 yards as a freshman.

What has helped the 5”5 160 pound sophomore running back from Schaller, Iowa this season? His passion of the game plays a factor. Confidence is another. Instead Kenny credits his teammates for setting the bar high for himself this year.

“I think last year set the bar for me and I’ve been working since then to get better,” said Kenny. “As far as having more of a productive season and helping my team, so far I think I’m on the right track.”

Junior running back Michael Chia has been a key influence this season on Kenny.

“Chia has been the biggest help to my game during the season,” Kenny said.

Michael Chia thinks Tyler Kenny has improved significantly from last season. Having the opportunity to go through camp, Chia has helped Kenny out in different ways.

“He’s improved his blocking from last season which is one of the things that go unnoticed,” Chia said. “He’s also improved his stiff arm and his juking ability which has helped him run the football.”

Having improved from his freshman season in all aspects has the Storm sitting in a great position this year.

Tyler Kenny’s production hasn’t gone unnoticed with the coaching staff as well.

“Ultimately understanding better as a sophomore than a freshman has helped him improve the most,” said Head Coach Jim Glogowski. “He’s a tough kid who runs hard and knows how to make himself a few small holes.”

Being able to play football over the years, Kenny has had the opportunity to listen to advice from a particular family member who has been a big part of his football career.

“My dad has been the biggest influence in my football career,” Kenny said.

Even though championship teams have stars, they also have players who do the dirty work and Tyler Kenny has relished in his role.