Roberts takes battle-ready mentality to the mat

by Aaron Young

This year’s Simpson wrestling squad can be describe in one word: Battle-ready. At least that is how freshman wrestler Brett Roberts views themselves as.

The Storm are coming off their second tournament of the season at the Luther Open in Decorah, Iowa. All of the wrestlers competing in the freshman division found themselves going 0-2, but not Roberts, as he went 4-2 in his matches, placing fifth overall in the tournament.

Roberts comes to Simpson College after a talented and accomplishing high school career at Eddyville-Blakesburg High School in Eddyville. Three out of the four years he wrestled for the Rockets he found himself wrestling at the state tournament, where he placed second in both his junior and senior campaigns. He was also voted Team MVP during those seasons as well.

Competing at the Iowa High School State Wrestling Tournament is one of Roberts’ all-time favorite memories.

“There are only three mats with several fans watching you,” Roberts said in regards to the atmosphere while wrestling at the state tournament.

Even though Roberts has been wrestling since elementary school, he actually started out not even liking the sport when he first gave it a shot.

“My dad told me to I should try it in first grade,” Roberts said. “I went to one practice and I didn’t like it, so I didn’t do it anymore that year. Then the next year I tried it again and I’ve been at it ever since.”

Now the sport has turned into a dedicated passion for the hardworking first-year 174 lbs. wrestler.

He states that his favorite wrestler is Dan Gable because of what he accomplished and how hard he worked during his career. One wrestler that he tries to be a lot like is his second-cousin, current Iowa Hawkeye wrestler Matt McDonough.

McDonough has amassed a 100-4 record going into his senior season as a two-time NCAA champion in the 125-pound division.

“I try to be a lot like him because of how hard he works and how he dominates many of his matches and it doesn’t matter how good they are,” Roberts said.

As far as his teammates, he’s found out that the guys he wrestles with will help you with anything no matter what.

“I’m still getting to know everybody on the squad but they’re all really good and would help you

with anything,” Roberts said. “Our team goals are to go out everyday and of course win.”

Roberts and the rest of the Storm will try to do just that as they head east to Cedar Rapids as they compete at the Coe Invitational, Nov. 17. The start-time for the meet will begin at 9 a.m.