SCTV 2/21/2024
by Aaron Wilkins and Sam HyingFebruary 21, 2024

Max Cleveland broke the 60-meter hurdle time for the first time in December with a record of 8.00 seconds.
Max Cleveland: Placing a checkmark on the goal sheet
by Abby Hintz, ID Magazine Editor-in-Chief & Layout Editor • February 21, 2024

As the Earth rotates around its axis and the athletic season flips to spring, members of the track and field team lace up their spikes and hit...

The Japanese foreign exchange students pose for a picture in the writing center.
Simpson welcomes students from Japan
by Josephine Brockman, Staff Reporter • February 21, 2024

Four Japanese students are visiting Simpson from Yamanashi Prefectural University (YPU). Though they will not be taking any credits for the month...

President Byers named one of Iowa’s top influential leaders

Jay Byers
Photo from Simpson.edu
Jay Byers

Alongside elected officials, numerous CEOs and a slew of other college presidents, Simpson College President Jay Byers was named one of the top 25 influential leaders by the Des Moines Business Record.

Annually since 2013, the Des Moines Business Record has been naming influential leaders and nonprofits based on the community around them.

This year, our very own Jay Byers is ranked number five, sharing the honor with 24 other Iowa leaders and 25 non-profits.

It is humbling to be recognized alongside these other Central Iowa leaders who have such a profound impact on the vitality and prosperity of our region,” Byers said in an email to The Simpsonian, “I am especially honored to represent Simpson College and the high impact contributions we collectively continue to make in helping drive regional economic growth.

According to Sara Diehn, the digital news editor and staff writer for the Business Record, the list is ranked according to the number of votes. 

This means Byers received the fifth-highest number of votes, only coming behind a select few chairmen, CEOs and presidents of businesses in the state. 

Top 5 influential people: 

1. Dan Houston, chairman, president and CEO, Principal Financial Group Inc. 
  2. Dennis Albaugh, chairman, Albaugh LLC
  3. Don Coffin, president and CEO, Bankers Trust Co.
  4. Tiffany Tauscheck, president and CEO, Greater Des Moines Partnership
  5. Jay Byers, president, Simpson College

Top 5 influential non-profits:

1. ChildServe
  2. Food Bank of Iowa
  3. Animal Rescue League of Iowa Inc.
  4. Meals from the Heartland
  5. Easterseals Iowa

Scores of our alumni stand out as distinguished leaders in their professions and communities throughout Central Iowa and across the country,” Byers said. “Preparing our students to be purpose-driven leaders and difference makers is central to our mission. That’s what makes serving as Simpson’s president so rewarding.”

You can read the full lists of the top 25 influential leaders and non-profits on the Business Record’s website.