Tish Carter-Smith: A new addition to the Simpson community

Carter-Smith+sought+out+Simpson+while+looking+for+a+position+that+allowed+her+to+take+on+more+responsibilities+in+regards+to+DEI+%28Diversity%2C+Equity%2C+and+Inclusion.%29+She+started+her+position+on+May+2nd%2C+2022.+

Submitted to the Simpsonian

Carter-Smith sought out Simpson while looking for a position that allowed her to take on more responsibilities in regards to DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.) She started her position on May 2nd, 2022.

by Ariel Clark, Staff Reporter

Tisha Carter-Smith is the newly hired Associate Director of Multicultural and International Affairs at Simpson. Her role gives her the task of student-facing. The role is purposefully broad to allow her versatility when it comes to taking care of issues on a larger spectrum. 

Born in Des Moines, she grew up and graduated high school in Minneapolis before getting her undergrad at the University of Minnesota. Eventually, she would move back to Des Moines for family matters. At the time, Drake University was offering a master’s program that would further her career goals.

Attending Drake University, Carter-Smith became a part of the Teacher Quality Partnership as a graduate student. The goal of the program was to introduce more minority educators into the public school system. Afterward, she got her master’s in public education and immediately began her career as an adjunct instructor for Drake University and DMACC.

Carter-Smith worked at both colleges at the same time. After five years as an adjunct instructor, she moved on to work at Central College for two and a half years as a full-time TRIO staffer. “I positively loved watching the students grow and mature and then seek out their collegiate aspirations,” she said.

Eventually, Carter-Smith sought out Simpson while looking for a position that allowed her to take on more responsibilities in regards to DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.) She started her position on May 2nd, 2022. Her job is broad in its terms, allowing her to be more inclusive rather than only multicultural. She also takes part in some committees that plan for campus events. “I enjoy the networking that goes along with it,” she said.

In her free time, Carter-Smith enjoys traveling. Having been to almost every state, her travel record showcases her love for exploration. She had been across Canada by train twice, lived in Mexico for a short time, visited Trinidad, Cuba, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Israel, and more. Out of all the places she has visited, her favorite is Quebec. “It’s just magical,” said Carter-Smith. She recommends any traveling enthusiasts to visit the old city of Quebec during the Winter season to see how the snow coats the buildings.

When not traveling, she loves to watch PBS Masterpiece Mysteries. The program provides British mysteries. “I feel like they’re much more intelligent and I also feel like the acting quality is pretty good,” said Carter-Smith. She prefers them more than their American versions. Her favorite genre is historical mysteries. “Cause then I got my history and I got my mystery.”

Students looking to contact Carter-Smith can show up at her office on the second floor of Kent Campus Center. As long as her door is open and she’s around, she welcomes anyone who wants or needs to meet with her.