BREAKING NEWS: Student death announced by President Kelliher

by Amelia Schafer, Editor-in-chief

President Kelliher sent an email update on Monday, Aug. 30 informing the campus community of the identity and cause of death of the student. 

The student, a Simpson College senior, died due to suicide on Sunday, Aug. 29 according to an email update from President Marsha Kelliher. The students name is currently being withheld. 

The event occurred on Simpson’s campus. 

Monday’s update stated that the time of death is unclear and there is no link to other campus events such as Stand Around, which was held on Sunday night. 

Police were seen at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity around 9 p.m. on Sunday. 

The student was majoring in neuroscience and was an active member of the campus community – he was a member of SAE and spent two years as the fraternity’s Community Advisor (CA). 

He was a graduate of Mount Vernon High School in Mount Vernon, Iowa. 

“We are devastated by the loss of one of our own,” the President’s email said. “As we process our grief, please know that resources are available to the entire campus community.”

The college is currently providing resources for students in need of assistance. 

Smith Chapel is open Monday – Chaplain Mara Bailey can be reached at 515-961-1684 or [email protected].

Counseling Services is also available Monday, counselors are available daily from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and drop-ins are welcome. The office can be reached at 515-961-1332 or [email protected].

This story will be updated as more information is made available. 

Due to requests from the student’s family, his name has been removed from the article.

*Updated Aug. 31 at 2:40 p.m.