Crunching the numbers with the accounting club

by Ashley Dalsing, Special to The Simpsonian

Have no fear — you can count on Simpson’s accounting club to develop students within the major and help send them in the direction of landing an internship or full-time job with a Big Four firm.

What is Simpson’s accounting club all about? It’s a student-led organization with the purpose of promoting the accounting major on campus, providing accounting career information to students and allowing them to network with one another as well as employers.

“There are so many great things to be said about the Simpson accounting club,” said Tanner Augustine, president of Simpson’s accounting club. “For example, 35 percent of Simpson College accounting students go to work at one of the Big Four companies — truly an unheard of number at the private college level.”

With 25 members in the club, Augustine hopes the accounting club provides a step in the right direction for developing long-term professional relationships with peers as well as networking with several businesses.

“Each time we meet, we try to bring in a different professional from the accounting industry,” Augustine said. “Last year, we had events with guests ranging from KPMG, Wellmark and we even went bowling with Becker CPA Review.”

Looking forward to this upcoming year, the goal is to provide a diverse group of professionals to attend meetings so students can see the various places having an accounting degree can take them.

“Employers that come in for meetings with the accounting club members discuss topics such as interviewing, job opportunities and professional etiquette,” said Mark Juffernbruch, department chair of business administration and economics. “I definitely recommend students to become members of the accounting club.”

The club already has meetings scheduled with Schuring and Uitermarkt CPA for Oct. 4.

If anyone is interested or majoring in accounting and are looking to join the accounting club, contact Augustine for more information, or keep up with club happenings by following @SC_Accounting on Twitter.