Simpson students prepare to take fall season by storm

by The Simpsonian

Volleyball

Simpson’s volleyball team is looking to have a good season with strong senior leadership and a group of newcomers that should play at the next level.

The volleyball team has eight returning letter winners including, seniors Katie Weisz, Jessica Nauman and Annika Gustafson; juniors Ranae Grinstead and Liz Whims; and sophomores Jen Gergen, Shannon Stewart and Jamie Cusick.

“We should be competitive this season,” said Head Coach Lana Smith. “We are very confident with the loss of just one starter and a great core coming back with a lot of experience.”

Women’s Tennis

Simpson’s women’s tennis team will look to their doubles matches as their strength this season.

“Our doubles look strong this season,” said Head Coach Bob Nutgrass. “In dual meets you have to win doubles to get a heads up on the meet before you get into singles.”

The Storm will return five players this season with some newcomers also stepping up to play an important role. Senior veterans Sherry Warren, Brooke Beaman and Trisha Buckley will lead the team. Juniors Amanda Byas and Amanda Bix are also returners. Newcomers expected to contribute at the varsity level are Tracy Schiltz, Emily DeBolt, Carrie Brannen and Janet Jacobs.

“Things look very good,” said Nutgrass. “We are hitting real solid shots and playing aggressive.”

Women’s Golf

Simpson’s women’s golf team looks to have a bright fall season ahead of them, after failing to qualify for nationals last year for the first time since 1988.

The team returns five players: senior Christina Schmitt, juniors Amber DeRiemacker, Karen Smith and Senta Willenborg and sophomore Janelle Clairborne. Two newcomers, Steph Schenfield and Kenna Heater are also expected to play at the varsity level. Schenfield was the 2002 individual 3A state champion.

The Storm face a tough Iowa Conference schedule. “It will be a dog fight for all six schools this year, especially with Buena Vista” said Head Coach Bob Darrah. “But we are very capable.”

Women’s Soccer

Simpson’s women’s soccer team is counting on a good season with a good number of returners, as well as a strong incoming class.

The Storm will look to its five returning seniors, Erin Haller, Tracie Whitney, Jill Emmerich, Christina German and Ashley Wilson for leadership. Also returning are junior Lindsay Clark and sophomores Vania Quiroz, Erin Goettl, Ivy Zhang and Chelsie Reifschneider. Newcomers Heather Barrett, Ashley Moore, Kelli Demetri, Megan Hauswald, Meghan Gallagher, Katie Elliot, Elizabeth Ankeny and Joanna McBride should also contribute.

“I think it will be a good year,” said Head Coach Aziz Haffar. “I think we will have a breakout year with the combination of returners and recruits. If we compliment each other’s strengths and weaknesses then we can have a lot of good things happen.”