After the Storm

by Simpson College

Sprint Medley Wins for Storm

The Storm finished fourth with a team score of 61 at the KnoxInvitational last Saturday in Galesburg, Ill. Top individualplacings for the Storm include sophomore Reid Leichty who finishedsecond in the 800m in a season best time of 2:00.33 and senior MattAlbert who finished third in a season best time of :7.91 in the 55hurdles. The 1600m sprint medley team of freshman Carl Duffy,junior Matt Eisle, freshman Jason Kramme and junior Nick Bowermanwon the event with a time of 3:48.32.

Capper Places First in Shot Put

The Storm finished fourth with a team score of 61 at the KnoxInvitational last Saturday in Galesburg, Ill.

Top individual placings for the Storm include senior JessicaCapper who won the shot put with a toss of 41-10’34 andsophomore Jen Wendt who place third in the 800m run in a time of2:24.81.

The 1600m sprint medley team of freshman Britta Johnson,sophomore Kathryn Fenneman, freshman Rachel Faulstich and juniorCrystal Lee won the race in a time of 4:43.51.

Simpson Wrestlers Place Third

Simpson walked away with a third place finish with a score of144 at the 53rd Iowa Conference Wrestling Championships lastThursday in Mt. Vernon.

The Storm advanced five wrestlers to the Mar. 5-6 NCAA DivisionIII National Championships in Dubuque. Sophomore Dustin Brewer wasnamed Outstanding Wrestler of the Championships when he became thefirst Simpson wrestler to win an Iowa Conference Championship.

Junior Quent Christensen, junior Clint Manny and senior BartGeorge all earned a spot in the national tournament with secondplace finishes and sophomore Brett Christensen was a given awildcard.

Simpson was ranked third in the final regular seasonBrute/Adidas NWCA Division III Top 30 Coaches Poll released lastWednesday.

Burkhardt, Walker, lead Simpson Basketball

Simpson won a decisive victory over Cornell 85-69 last Friday inIndianola.

Freshman Jason Burkhardt led the Storm with 21 points. SeniorNick Boyd went for a career high 20 points and senior Barry Moorewent home with a game high 10 rebounds.

The Storm recorded their second victory of the weekend when theydefeated Coe 84-76 last Saturday in Indianola.

Senior Dirk Walker led the team with 16 points and nine assistswhile Boyd and freshman Ryan Hittenmiller each scored 14.

Women’s Basketball Wins Two

Simpson defeated Cornell 65-54 last Friday in Indianola.

Senior Amanda Pilcher led the team with 17 points. Junior KristiProstine scored 12 and junior Ashley Bogaards added 11 points and ateam high eight rebounds.

With the power of four players scoring in double figures, theStorm defeated Coe 65-55 last Saturday in Indianola.

Pilcher was the leader for the second night in a row scoring 13points and grabbing seven rebounds. Bogaards and senior MeghanKelso each posted 11 points while Prostine added 10 and charted acareer high nine rebounds.

Kuiken Shatters Records at LAI

Simpson finished ninth with a score of 164 at the Liberal ArtsInvitational held last weekend in Cedar Rapids.

Senior Dana Kuiken set four school records during the event. Shefinished second in the 50 freestyle with a time of :25.01, posted atime of :55.51 during the 100 freestyle and won the 200breaststroke in a time of 2:31.78.

Kuiken posted the fifth fastest time in Division III this seasonto win the 100 breaststroke in a time of 1:06.33 lowering her ownschool record by almost two full seconds.

Men’s Tennis Drops Opener

Hamline defeated Simpson 7-0 in the season opener last Friday inDecorah. The Storm dropped a 6-1 decision to Luther last Saturdayin Decorah. Junior Luc Mbenoun posted a 4-6, 7-6 (7-5) and 11-9victory at number one singles.