Students Can Vote on Campus

by Kelsey Knutson & Tyler Utzka

The endless cycle of negative ads, promotional visits and campaign stops will soon come to an end, but the biggest event still needs to be completed: Voting.

“It’s important that we get involved and know who represents us because not too long from now we will be out looking for jobs,” sophomore Lucas Draisey said. “And the right decision can make getting jobs easier.”

Many students are faced with the challenge of trying to decide where to vote. Should they make the trip home, apply for an absentee ballot or vote on campus?

“If you’re far from home and you know who you would like to vote for, then request an absentee ballot and vote (beforehand),” sophomore JoAnna Freeland said.

Iowa allows registered voters to request an absentee ballot under three conditions: if during the time the polls are open on Election Day the voter is expecting to be absent from their precinct, if the voter is ill or has a physical disability or if the voter is simply unable to make it to the poll.

Simpson offers the opportunity for students to register and vote on campus in the Brenton Student Center (BSC). Students are eligible to vote on campus because they spend the majority of the year at Simpson.

However, not all students will be taking advantage of the Simpson-offered possibility.

“I am from Kansas and I will be voting here,” freshman Bri Stadlander said.

Political races that pertain to the Indianola include:

Republican Kent Sorenson is challenging Democrat incumbent Staci Appel for a senate seat at the Iowa Capitol to represent Iowa Senate District 37. Republican governor candidate Terry Brandstad is still holding the upper hand in the polls as he takes on current Gov. Chet Culver, but Culver has been “saving his best for last.” He’s recently been gaining some numbers on Brandstad.

Also, Des Moines attorney Roxanne Conlin is challenging senior Senator Chuck Grassley for his spot in Washington, D.C.

No matter what one’s political affiliation may be sophomore Pat Alt says it best.

“Get out and vote,” he said. “It’s important.”