Finding The Secret to Time Management

by Lexie Hagerty

As a senior this year, I find myself constantly reflecting on my last three years at Simpson College. I recently had a meeting with my adviser, Brian Steffen, to schedule classes for my last semester as an undergraduate. Professor Steffen and I talked about how much I have grown over the years. He asked me if I would change anything about my Simpson experience.

It didn’t take me long to say that I wouldn’t change my Simpson experience for anything. It has truly been an exciting three years so far and I am sure it will only get better in my final year. However, reflecting on my past forced me to admit how much I have grown and how disciplined I have become.

It all started with volleyball. Being a college athlete requires a lot of time management. At first, I thought I could handle everything just fine. Two classes a day was nothing compared to seven hours of school a day in high school. So, I did what every college freshman seems to do. I didn’t go to bed until 2 a.m., I ate every type of fast food I could get my hands on and I took 2-3 naps a day.

It was a fun and somewhat relaxing lifestyle, but my body retaliated quickly leaving me with mononucleosis (Mono) right at the end of my volleyball season. After a long period of time isolated in my room unable to get out of bed my life became a chaotic mess. I was behind in class, I didn’t want to eat, I couldn’t exercise and I barely had the energy to go outside for a short walk. It was then that I realized how much my body needs a consistent schedule.

When I finally recovered from Mono I began a new, consistent lifestyle. I began exercising on a regular basis again, started picking healthier food choices and did my best to get to bed earlier. I started doing homework earlier than the hour before it was due and made time to study during the day.

Now, it is still hard for me to admit that I am actually this disciplined. I think college should be a make-lots-of-mistakes time in your life. However, every student needs to learn from these mistakes and find a lifestyle that is consistent and healthy, yet fun. I did, and because of those adjustments I was able to accomplish everything that I wanted to accomplish in my short time at Simpson.

Simpson students: Find a lifestyle that is fun, exciting and unpredictable, but help yourself by staying healthy and making time to do all the things that you want to do. In time, you will figure out what you want in life. Let’s just hope that it doesn’t take Mono for you to figure it out!