Impact Of Breast Cancer Awareness Touches Many

Inspired by close ties and emotional experiences with breast cancer, the six women of the Breast Cancer Awareness House – a theme house on campus – are reaching out to spread and promote awareness on campus and in the community.

“I think there are so many people who want to volunteer and who want to put their money towards something, but never find something that connects with them,” junior Jenni Stumpf said.

While living in the house, each girl contributes to campus and the community through service hours.

“My experience as a member of the house has helped me get involved with volunteering and working hard for a good cause,” junior Megan Ginsberg said.

According to the American Cancer Society’s website, it is estimated that breast cancer will be responsible for 28 percent of cancer cases for the year 2010, 15 percent of those resulting in deaths.

It is no surprise that breast self-examinations continue to be highly encouraged by health professionals.

“Girls should begin regular breast examinations certainly after menstruation and no later than age 18,” said Rita Audlehelm, director of student health services.

Changes in the feel of breasts should be reported to a health care provider promptly after being discovered.

“You know what is normal for you,” Audlehelm said. “Girls must become comfortable with and proficient at checking themselves on a regular basis.”

On top of frequent breast self-examinations, it is highly recommended that women in their 20s and 30s receive clinical examinations once every three years, and women in their 40s receive annual mammograms. Even women who show no signs of trouble in their 40s should receive an annual breast examination.

The month of October is dedicated to promoting breast cancer awareness, and the theme house is doing just that. “Save the Bases” t-shirts have been made, with more than 300 shirts being sold with extras on the way for those who still want to donate. At $15 each, pink shirts will promote awareness while raising money. A portion of the proceeds will go towards the Iowa-based organization, “Bras for the Cause.”

The annual Race For The Cure event will be on Saturday, Oct. 23, which is open for all students and the public to register. The event is put on by the Susan G. Komen Foundation, which is named in honor of the former Des Moines resident who lost her battle to breast cancer in 1980.

In addition, the residents of the Breast Cancer Awareness House will be hosting a booth at the home football game on Oct. 23.

“We really want to raise awareness, and let people know that Simpson College is raising awareness,” Stumpf said.

While passing out stickers and pink beads, a bake sale and raffle will be held in contribution to the cause.

Stumpf said it is crucial to understand the importance of having a healthy lifestyle and how to be proactive about breast cancer.

“With breast cancer awareness, everyone can connect to it, especially because it affects both men and women,” Stumpf said.

For a step-by-step procedure on breast self-examinations, as well as many other facts on different types of cancer, visit the American Cancer Society’s website at www.cancer.org or www.komen.org.