Campus 411

Dallinger wins award

Carolyn Dallinger, associate professor of social work and criminal justice, was named Iowa Professor of the Year. The award was given by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and Council for Advancement and Support of Education. According to the Simpson College website, Dallinger was selected from more than 300 top professors in the United States. Dallinger incorporates service-learning components into most of her classes, and was awarded the Distinguished Junior Faculty Award from Simpson in 2009.

Students raise money for retirement community

During the first semester, the mass communication 101 Liberal Arts Seminar (LAS) class volunteered hundreds of hours on a fundraising project to benefit The Village, a retirement and assisted living community in Indianola. The 16 first-year students that took place in the project managed to raise $8,725 for The Village. According to the 101 LAS destination leader Becky Pietig, students organized, planned, promoted and executed the fundraiser.  

Crime Log

Nov. 17: Sometime during the 2009-2010 academic year, on-campus with an unknown time, there was a sexual assault that took place. The student reported a sexual assault that took place in the 2009-2010 academic year on-campus on Nov. 17. There was no police assistance.