Curriculum Corner: Griffith Has Answers

Curriculum Corner: Griffith Has Answers

by Steve Griffith

This is the first of a series of articles that will help answer questions about the transition process from the Cornerstone program to the Engaged Citizenship Curriculum (ECC). Each article will focus on one element of the change. The articles will be written by members of the faculty and administration.

First, a bit of background on how we got to where we are today.

During the 2006-2007 school year, over 1,000 students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the college participated in a strategic thinking process that focused on the future of Simpson College. Participants were asked to think about what students would need to do at Simpson in order to prepare themselves for successful careers and lives after they graduate. It was determined that the Simpson Experience of the future should provide students with intellectual and practical skills, an opportunity for integrated learning, the skills needed to live and work in a global context, leadership skills, and help to understand and model personal and social responsibility. These goals for student success reflect Simpson’s mission.

In summer 2007, faculty and staff were asked to review the academic program to determine if what we were currently doing would meet the needs of future students. In addition to looking at what Simpson was currently offering students, the faculty also looked at other good schools around the country, studies of what employers think college graduates should know, and what education practices seemed to be working at other colleges.

The working groups found much to be proud of in the existing academic programs at Simpson College, but also found many things that might be improved. During 2007-2008, faculty and students worked to develop a new approach to our academic offerings. This has become known as the Engaged Citizenship Curriculum (ECC) as its purpose is to provide Simpson College graduates what they need to be active and connected citizens when they graduate.

In the following weeks, this column will provide readers with information about ECC and the transition. If you have questions about the ECC or its impact on your Simpson Experience, please contact us by sending a note to The Simpsonian.