Higher education is a blessing, has offered growth

by Laura Reid

Since my time here at Simpson, I have constantly heard from my peers how there are many downs associated with Simpson. Perhaps it has been the professors not teaching right, or Residence Life not paying attention to practically anything a student says, or perhaps Pfieffer has made you run to the bathroom more times than you ever would have expected in your life.

But as I take the time to read the bathroom stall news, I also contemplate my time here at Simpson. And what I have realized is, Simpson isn’t as bad as most students make it out to be.

Yes, I have had my fair share of downs at Simpson, creating controversy among students and faculty alike. But I have also had my ups here. And my biggest up has been the amount of growth that I have experienced personally in my own life in regards to Simpson.

I came in as a shy, apologetic girl, thinking that the only way I can make it through college and find a great job was to be a yeswoman to everyone: Professors, organizational peers, roommates.

But during my journey, I realized that the quieter I became the less I stood out, and by assignments, being part of organizations, and disagreements, I have come out of my shell to realize that I have an opinion, and it matters. And my opinion has allowed me to be seen, not just by Simpson, but by potential employers.

Another complaint that I have heard from students is how there is nothing to do on campus on weekends, and that this college is a suitcase college. I say to all of you- open your eyes.

What did I do this past weekend? Cake Boss! It was definitely a great experience I had with friends, and I got to put both my majors to work with it- Art, decorating the cake; and Marketing, explaining to the judges our cake after the former major failed miserably for our team. Our reward? Second place, baby!

I could have stayed in my room, done something boring, or gone home, but then what would I tell my dogs 20 years from now about my time in college? It was definitely a memorable experience that I think goes unnoticed for many people.

It becomes a staple for many college students to point out the wrongs that this school has. I definitely have done my fair share of complaining, but I also have grown into a rational, well-rounded adult who has become a person ready for the working world- or as ready as I can be; come on, I’m still a child at heart. And I have Simpson to thank partly for that.

How many people do you know who didn’t want to or couldn’t go to college for any reason? I feel blessed that I am one of a small percentage of students who has gotten the opportunity experience higher education. Why should I complain about that?

Sure, there are plenty of reasons to voice your opinion here at Simpson, I mean, who wants to spend half their paycheck on Pepto Bismal? Those concerns make you an adult with an opinion. But don’t forget that there are also broader ideas that Simpson teaches all of us that we may not think about, but will always be with us.