Curriculum Corner: A special thank you

As we look back over the 2010-2011 academic year, we are amazed at the progress the whole Simpson community has made toward implementing the Engaged Citizenship Curriculum.

Approximately 400 designation proposals have been submitted; the majority of these have already been approved by the faculty, and we anticipate adding many more by the end of next year. This number signals the faculty’s commitment to teaching a wide variety of courses with clearly defined criteria and learning objectives—meaning that our general education offerings will be richer and more meaningful for students.

None of this progress would have been possible without the dedication of the faculty.

They have worked diligently to revamp majors to conform to the new overall structure of the curriculum. Staff members in various administrative offices, such as Information Services and the Registrar’s Office, have worked behind the scenes to make the transition as smooth as possible. The new “Search and Register” system is a great example of their accomplishments; this semester’s registration provided students with a greater sense of independence and control.

Finally, we want to thank you, the students, for your engagement in this process.

Your requests for meetings with the general education directors, EPCC chair, and academic dean have assured transparency and accountability during the transition.

Your interest in the process shows your devotion to maintaining the Simpson Experience for future generations. We hope that next year you will continue to take part in discussions of the general education curriculum. Your involvement demonstrates the ways in which, in accordance with Simpson’s mission, you are growing as “free, responsible and fulfilled individuals.”