Floro and Ginger Know Best

by Erin Floro & Julia Robinson

How can I keep in contact with friends once summer comes?

Floro

This question is lame, so I’m writing my own. Seriously people, give me something to work with! We open this up to all of you students and this is the best we get? I was hoping for a creative, funny and offensive question that all (well most) of us would enjoy.

Here are a few quality questions and real-life examples, with some Floro answers.

“How should I react when I accidentally grab my roommates’ vibrator instead of my curling iron?” Think that’s funny? It actually happened so it’s easy to answer: screw the curls and go have fun.

“How do I get a free drink at the bar?” Quick answer: lower your top. For you gentlemen that don’t have boobs: tough luck, you’re paying and get to enjoy the view. Finally, for the gentlemen that do have boobs: I’m sincerely sorry.

“What is the best excuse for not having your paper done?” Most realistic: I was drunk, too hung over and passed out on my computer. The most believable: My dog – errr – I mean the squirrels ate it.

“How do I tell someone I like them?” Tell them.

“I need to explain the $100 charge on my parents credit card at the liquor store, any suggestions?” Mom and Dad…. the homeless man was thirsty, what was I supposed to do?

“I let a stinky fart out in class, should I blame it on someone next to me?” Well, depends how good it smells – you might want to claim it. If not, find someone around you who hasn’t showered. Success.

“How do I write a good question to submit to the paper?” How about you tell me, because apparently all of you need to work on this one.

I guess I can answer the original question of, “How do I keep in contact with friends?” No, friends aren’t important, hook ups are. After we all leave campus for the summer there should be lots of sexting and naked Skype dates.  

Ginger

As the end of the semester gets closer and closer our smiles seem to get bigger and bigger, thinking of the wonderful summer months ahead of us. However, there is a tiny downside in leaving your “home” at Simpson for the summer: saying goodbye to your college friends.

You’ve spent the majority of your time with these people for last nine months, and some of you may have even made your best friends this year. So what are you going to do without them all summer? Don’t worry, it’ll be easier than you think.

On average, how many times a day do you check your Facebook account or cell phone? My point exactly. Contacting your friends by using Facebook or by texting is probably the easiest and fastest way to keep in touch, you just have to do it.

Make an effort to write on your friend’s Facebook wall every couple weeks or send them a text, even if it’s just to tell them you miss them or ask them what they’ve been up to. If you and your friend are close enough, call them up and have a real conversation! You might be surprised how much you enjoy taking a break from the texting to really talk to each other.

One great thing about college friends is that you don’t live in the same place! This gives you an excuse to go on a road trip to visit each other during the summer. Between catching up with high school friends and summer jobs, we’re all busy throughout the summer months, so take charge and be the one to organize the road trip – your friends will thank you later. Try to start talking about plans now so the idea doesn’t get forgotten about once you all go your separate ways. If you live too far away for visiting, plan Skype calls with your friends. It will be nice to see each other when you’re talking, even if it can’t be face-to-face.