Spring seasons come to an end at Simpson

by Ben Lucas

John Cord, sophomore

Sophomore John Cord placed second in the javelin throw against Cornell during his first time throwing. Cord also competes in the triple jump and won the event with a 40-5 ½ performance and placed sixth in the high jump in the same meet.

“Season has been going well so far,” Cord said. “Like last year, I’m quickly transitioning from basketball to track. My performances haven’t been up to par, but I’m hoping to see improvement in the later meets. As a team, we are pretty solid in the field events and we hope to score more in the running events. I’m trying couple new events this year and qualifying for nationals is always a goal. Coach Cleveland and Coach Hofer do a great job preparing me for meets. They put in a lot of time to help me with technique and push me to do my best.”

Chelsey Degen, senior

Senior Chelsey Degen won the discus throw against Cornell and automatically qualified for the NCAA Championships with her toss of 150-9. She currently ranks first in NCAA Division III.

“The team is making great strides early on in the season,” Degen said. “For being a young team, we have made great effort towards team and individual goals. The team needs to keep setting goals for themselves and to continue to work hard to meet those goals. I hope we can get a lot of people to nationals this year because it is a great experience to participate in.”

Matt Spaulding, senior

Senior Matt Spaulding has been instrumental in the first two golf meets of the spring season, achieving eighth place with a 4-over 75 at the Simpson Spring Invitational and twelfth in the Dutch Desert Shootout. Spaulding has an average score of 78.4 for the season.

“The season isn’t off to the start we were hoping for, but in our last meet at BV we got on track,” Spaulding said. “We are hoping we can carry that momentum into the IIAC conference tournament and into the final weekend of April. As a team we are working hard making improvements to our game. I think we are right where we need to be and everyone just needs to put a solid 72 holes together during conference. If everyone plays their best I think we should be near the top competing for the title. I would like to thank Coach Marvelli providing me with the guidance and tools to become a better golfer.”

Tieryn Potratz, sophomore

Tieryn Potratz set two home run records on March 15 for Simpson softball in single game home runs and the season high for homeruns was set at 10 only halfway through the season as a sophomore. To date she has 14 home runs, 37 runs and an RBI of 34 with an average of .398 at bat.

Tyler Crandell, sophomore

Tyler Crandell is a sophomore outfielder and infielder who has currently achieved 24 runs, has an RBI of 15, and has managed 11 steals to date. His current average is .367.

Adam Summitt, junior

Adam Summitt has been involved in some of men’s tennis’ key wins to date in both singles competition with a 7-13 personal record including a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Loras for the No. 2 spot on April 9. In doubles he has won 5-13 with his partner Alex Hook in the spring.

“Our season is finishing up,” Summitt said. “Despite losing some close matches we still stay focused on what’s ahead and just work harder for the next meet so it doesn’t happen again. Making the conference tourney is our main goal. Thanks to Coach Wright and everyone on the team for pushing each other every day in practice, especially Alex Hook—there have been meets where my doubles partner carried us through matches.”