LGBTQA to put on Halloween Fashion Show

by Sarah Stout

October means Halloween is right around the corner, and with that it is time for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, and Allies (LGBTQA) to host their annual Halloween Fashion Show.

The fashion show will be held on Oct. 28 at 8 p.m. in Hopper Gymnasium. Any student is welcome to sign up to participate in the event this year.

LGBQTA is an organization that seeks to bring awareness about many different issues that college and high school students face.

“The purpose is to give a safe environment for people who identify as such [LGBQTA] so they can come and talk about situation they are having,” Vice President of LGBTQA Lindy Seufert said. “We talk about political situations and give the people who identify as such an outlet that they belong on campus and we have a space for them. Show people that the LGBTQA community is here and it is nothing to be ashamed of and make our presences known. Aware of the things they involved themselves in.”

This year the club has about 20 members who come and help out when it is works for them. LGBQTA is excited to see this jump in numbers from previous years and hopes the club keeps increasing.

Each year the LGBQTA puts on a Halloween fashion show. Previous shows have been known to be a big hit. Each year and they hope to keep growing it for the future.

“The fashion show is people dressing up in costumes and strutting their stuff,” Seufert said. “All of LGBTQA members will be in costumes. The issues are serious and heavy. (The fashion show) opens up the year with something fun to bring non-LGBT people in and make them feel a little more comfortable. Get involved with the community.”

They put this show not only to provide entertainment to students, but to send a larger message.

“Every year we are trying to do something to promote safe sex to give this good information while they are enjoying the show,” LGBTQA President and senior Tierney Israel said.

Promoting safe sex is important to this organization and informing college students about a topic like sex can be a challenge, and the LGBQTA has found a way to do so.

This year LGBQTA is making a few changes to how the show will be organized.

“We will be taking groups of students this year, you will just have to share the price,” Israel said.

Students who get stage fright but still want to get involved can put together a team and parade down the runway. Since the show is open to anyone it is LGBQTA’s hope that a diverse group of students will get involved and have a good time with the show.

“There will be sign up sheets around campus, or you can send an email to [email protected] by Oct. 21 at 8 p.m.,” sophomore Brett Stadlander said.

This gives students plenty of time to plan out the perfect costume that is sure to win over the crowd.

Students have some initiative to sign up because there will be prizes for winning teams.

“There will be $30 for the first place, $20 for second place and $10 for third place, and gift bags for all those who participate,” Israel said.

A panel of judges, who will evaluate the performance and costumes of each participant, will decide the winner of the fashion show. While the judges are going over their votes to pick the winners there will be something special for the audience to keep them entertained.

In addition to the participants winning prices the audience will have the chance to win some door prices throughout the show.

LBGTQA hopes to work a lot with the Women’s Resource Center this year and they plan to incorporate some sneak peeks in their Halloween Fashion Show.

“We will be showing the bras from the WRC BRAvogue contest,” Israel said.

This will allow students to see the decorative bras entered by numerous student organizations on campus for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Aside from the Halloween Fashion Show, LGBQTA recently sold cup cakes to raise money for the Pride Center located in Des Moines to bring awareness to their club.

“Pride Center in Des Moines want to be the recognized pride center in Iowa and create an outreach for high school and college age students to have a place to identify and make a safe place,” Seufert said. “The teen and college years LGBTQA youth are more likely to run from home and get kicked out and feel extreme place to feel safe and deal with real life issues.”