Despite youth, Simpson swimming strives for records

by Olu Rotibi

With new faces throughout the program, the Simpson swimming team prepares for the 2012-2013 season.

With Aaron Strain resigning as head coach Aug. 6, former assistant coach Eric Crawford will now take over duties as interim head swimming coach.

As a graduate of Luther College, Eric Crawford was a three-time honorable mention All-American and participated in the 2008 NCAA Division III National Championships. He also helped the Storm set seven school records at the Liberal Arts Championships to close the season.

Now Crawford will have the opportunity to coach both men and women’s teams. He hopes that the new faces in the program will be a key part of their success this season.

“The great thing about our team is we’re a young team,”Crawford said. “Just about 99 percent of our team are either freshman or sophomores, we also have two upperclassmen who are a junior and a senior.”

Crawford hopes to get a strong season out of sophomore Nathan Schneider who is a record holder from last season. Schneider hopes that the core of guys this year can improve from last season’s record.

“We have a better core group of guys this year,” Schneider said. “Hopefully we can replace all our relay records from last year.”

The women look towards sophomore Hannah Yarborough for leadership after a spectacular performance last season at the Liberal Arts Championship setting three school records. Yarborough believes her team has a lot of potential this season.

“This season will be great, we have a lot of new talent this year,” Yarborough said. “I’m excited to see how the season plays out and what I also know is that everyone should expect greatness from the Simpson swim team this year”.

Both men’s and women teams are preparing for their meet opener Oct. 20 against Augsburg Pentathlon at St. Paul, Minnesota.