An American Cabaret

by Erin Gerken

Fake mustaches and insulting women’s choirs were just a few parts of An American Cabaret, hosted by Mu Phi Epsilon and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia.

The event, which took place on March 15, featured 13 songs between the women’s and men’s groups, and included everything from full group ensembles to solos, duets and quintets.

Humor played a huge part throughout the night, with songs like “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend” and “Sisters” performed by women of Mu Phi Epsilon and “Manly Men” and “There is Nothing Like A Dame” from the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia.

“Although, they all did an amazing job, I would have to say my favorite was probably the ‘Manly Men’, which makes fun of the standard repertoire for groups of guys,” junior Emma LeValley said. “I thought it was very amusing.”

There were also a few ballads: “Lonely House”, a solo done by senior Joe Farrand and “Lily’s Eyes”, a duet between Tad Ennen and freshman Ben Schaefer.

The event was put on by the students, which is not something normally seen from the musical groups on campus.

“It was put on by the Phi Mu and Mu Phi fraternity and sorority, which are the two professional music fraternities on campus,” Schaefer said.

Each group was in charge of selecting their own songs.

“Each group has a chorus master that would come up with suggestions,” Schaefer said. “They would bring ideas to the group and obviously the group members would add their suggestions if they had other songs that they wanted to do. Some of the solo songs that people did, they brought on their own and did them.”

LeValley was one of the students who attended the show.

“What I like most…is that it gives the students an opportunity to see what the students (in the ensembles) have developed themselves,” LeValley said. “It is also a lot different repertoire than we’re used to doing. It’s some classical but a lot of like choral, jazzy, fun, musical-theatre-type ensembles and solos and duets and groups. It’s a lot of fun.”

The music wasn’t the only thing that was different about the set-up of the show.

“It was a really interesting way to present a concert,” Schaefer said. “It’s more of an informal type of a setting rather than a formal concert where you sit down and you just have to watch the whole time, because in the cabaret style you’re allowed to eat and talk during the performances but you’re also encouraged to listen to the music.”

Schaefer believes it was a good way for people to see the groups in action in a way that might not normally take place.

“It’s a really good way for people to be able to socialize and enjoy music, and for us to present our music,” Schaefer said.