1. President Barack Obama held a press conference asking to negotiate with Repubicans earlier this week.
2. United States Postal Service is still open.
3. The last shutdown lasted 21 days.
4. Federal agencies have furloughed paid student internships.
5. Experts say the nation’s debt ceiling must be raised by Oct. 17.
6. Democrats say Obamacare will expand access to health care.
7. Republicans say Obamacare will hurt employers and send jobs overseas.
8. Students can still obtain federal student loans and Pell grants in the short terms.
9. House and Senate agreed to continue paying troops.
10. Since 1977, the Congressional Research Service shows there have been 17 shutdowns.