Senior, Cameron Whitehead: “Work Hard, Party Harder”

Sophie Reese

Senior Cameron Whitehead reflects on his time at Simpson College.

by Sophie Reese, Video Editor

Senior Cameron Whitehead is a health and exercise science major who is graduating early in December.

Whitehead is from Sidney, Iowa and attended Sidney High School. Whitehead was involved in a variety of high school activities such as football, baseball, track, basketball, choir, band, student council, National Honor Society, Theatre and more.

On-campus activities that Whitehead has been involved in are the junior varsity basketball team and various intramural sports such as sand volleyball, basketball, soccer, pickleball and slow pitch.

Whitehead originally chose Simpson College for the men’s basketball team but stayed for the friends he met during his time here.

“Most people I’ve met here ended up being some of my best friends or my girlfriend,” Whitehead said.

The Kent Campus Center and Cowles Athletic Department are Whitehead’s favorite spots on campus. 

“That’s where I spent most of my time at, a lot of my curriculum’s in Cowels,” Whitehead said.

Whitehead has a couple of mentors that he is thankful for: his advisor, Cal Busby and Katie Smith. 

“She kind of challenged me, and I stepped up into a tutoring role. I really enjoyed it, and I can thank Katie for that,” Whitehead said.

Whitehead admits that his college journey wasn’t always easy. He had hard times his first year. 

“My first semester at Simpson was really challenging. I didn’t want to be here; there was a pretty broad chance I was going to transfer,” Whitehead said.

Fortunately, the hard times didn’t last.

“I stuck it out and I’m thankful that I did because sophomore, junior and this year have been some of the best years of my life,” Whitehead said.

During his time at Simpson, Whitehead explains he has grown into a more professional version of himself and developed networking and communication skills. 

Whitehead has advice for current Simpson students: “Work hard, party harder.”

Whitehead will be attending Palmer College of Chiropractic in March and hopes to become a chiropractor.