Crimson Anchor Coffee Roasters launches Simpson Sundays

Morgan Parrish

Crimson Anchor Coffee Roasters began offering Simpson Saturdays this semester to help attract college students and provide a calm study space.

by Morgan Parrish, Staff Reporter

Crimson Anchor Coffee Roasters, located on the Indianola square, is now open from 6 p.m. through 10 p.m. on Sundays for Simpson students to enjoy discounted coffee in a welcoming environment.

Crimson Anchor is a small coffee shop located on the square next to Winn’s Pizza & Steakhouse. Crimson Anchor is open Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. through 4 p.m. and is now opening on Sunday from 6 p.m. through 10 p.m., specifically for Simpson students. These new Sunday night hours are called Simpson Sundays, where students can buy a discounted coffee and do homework, hang out or talk to friendly volunteers.

Simpson Sundays are held every Sunday during the school year. Coffees will be $2 for regular drinks such as roasted coffee, hot cocoa and cider. Other specialty drinks, such as lattes, will be $3 for any size.

Co-owner Amy Jakes, her husband and volunteers wanted to start Simpson Sundays to let students know they are looking out for them.

“One of our volunteers asked if we could start Simpson Sunday nights because we noticed a few Simpson students coming in and struggling with loneliness, struggling with wanting someone to talk to or a place to get together,” said Jakes.

Jakes wants students and other community members to know that their coffee shop is very welcoming and a place that they can always feel comfortable.

We want it to be a welcoming place if people want a good cup of coffee, a latte, or this time of year, a nice hot cider, or if they want someone to talk to or listen to them. We want it to be a place they can feel connected. We also want to be a place where people can come and be comfortable talking, doing their homework or doing whatever they need to do. We want it to be a good gathering spot for people,” said Jakes.

When asking Jakes how she feels about providing this service to students, she related it to her years in college and how she had always had someone looking out for her and wants to do the same for others.

“It is a great feeling,” Jakes said. “We remember when we were in college and cafeterias were closed on Sunday night, and different churches or families would open their homes to us on Sunday nights to study or eat, so we’d like to be able to provide something like that to the Simpson students.”

Jakes said that the volunteers have college students of their own and hope that wherever their kids are, they’re being looked out for too. 

It is not a surprise that Simpson Students are excited about the Simpson Sundays, especially since the college’s coffee shop, Millie’s, closes at 1 p.m. on Sundays.

Junior Carina Covington said she appreciates that the Crimson Anchor is looking out for students. 

“I think it is really nice that people in the community are looking out for Simpson students,” Covington said. “Especially since we are such a close-knit community on campus, it’s just nice that the community in Indianola also looks out for us, and what college student doesn’t need coffee.”

Senior Liv Erickson said she feels that this is a great idea. 

“I think that it is super awesome. It helps with the inclusivity aspect, and that is why I chose to come here to Simpson college because of the great sense of community here. I am always at the coffee shop Millie’s here on campus, so I think Simpson Sundays will be another great option for people to get off campus and hang out with friends,” said Erickson.

Crimson Anchor has various drinks, including specialties, slushies, ciders, signature drinks, lattes, teas and more.