Five ways to stay motivated during mid-terms

by Kimberly Roberts, Staff Reporter

Mid-term season can be stressful for all students. Trying to balance an already busy schedule while adding the stress of multiple tests and papers can be the tipping point. Here are five ways to stay motivated during this stressful time. 

1. Take breaks

It can be easy to stay up all night and push yourself to do better, but in the long run, this will not be best. Studies show that you should take a five to ten-minute break for every hour of studying. Set a timer when taking these breaks so you can get back to the assignment. 

2. Try studying at a different location

Studying in places that you feel comfortable in can be another distraction. Try to avoid places like Kent and your bedroom, as the distraction can stop you from getting any assignments done. If you are looking for a new location, there are many coffee shops in Des Moines, like Java Joes or Smokey Row, that can become great places to study and get off-campus. 

3. Treat yourself

Being stuck in the same place over and over again will make your body feel drained and unmotivated. A great way to get a refresh is to get off campus for a bit. Get some friends together and grab dinner off-campus or go explore Des Moines. These times off campus can allow you to come back more refreshed and ready to take on midterms. 

4. Remember why you are here

It’s easy to forget why we are here at Simpson, especially when stress levels are high. Take the time to reflect on how far you have come and where you still have to go. Whether you are a senior less than three months from graduation, or a first-year in the middle of the second semester, we have all accomplished so much this school year.

5.  Set small goals

Setting small goals can help you feel accomplished. Try setting goals that have rewards attached to them. One way can be having a snack after studying for 30 minutes. This gives you a reason to study and something to look forward too. Accomplishing these little goals will help you reach your larger goals.