Funaro’s Deli: Your new off-campus favorite

Photo: Emma Schlenker/The Simpsonian

Photo: Emma Schlenker/The Simpsonian

by Emma Schlenker, Social Media Editor

Funaro’s Deli brings home cooked food and student discounts just a block from campus. And the students who know about the deli love it.

Staff and students agree this is an Indianola favorite for it’s fresh baked goods, friendly staff and quick service.

Rich Ramos, associate dean of students, is a fan of Funaro’s Deli because of his favorite dish. “They have the most phenomenal whole wheat bread bowl,” he said.

Senior Olivia Pellegrino has her own Funaro’s favorite.  “As a meatball sub fanatic, I would go back and purchase another,” she said.

Bryant Houston bought Funaro’s three years ago. He said the tight knit and supportive community is what makes his job worth it.

“Some days, it’s what makes showing up to work worth it. It’s great to see the customers who come in every day,” he said.

Houston said he has seen an increase in the number of Simpson students frequenting the deli in the past few years.

“We’ve been seeing a lot more students in the last three years. That was my goal by offering a free cookie and drink with a Simpson ID,” he said.

Houston said the challenge is a matter of getting the word to Simpson students. But once they come and try it, they love it.

Funaro’s offers made-to-order fresh-baked pies, catering services, homemade cookies, daily soup specials and homemade sandwiches.

Houston recommended trying his favorite, the Italian Beef sandwich. “It’s homemade here and seasoned and marinated overnight,” he said.

Funaro’s Deli is located at at 201 N Buxton St. The restaurant is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. You can find them on Twitter @funarosdeli for deals, specials and discounts.