Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Senior Tanner Augustine has not had an easy transition, but with the support of friends and faculty, he has a full-time position after graduation at KPMG.

Maddy Hermon/The Simpsonian

Maddy Hermon/The Simpsonian

by Madi Wilson, Features/Perspectives Editor

Colorado native Tanner Augustine never thought he’d end up in Iowa, but after experiencing the Simpson campus he “fell in love with the place.”

Before choosing Simpson, Augustine visited several colleges in areas like Texas and Louisiana, but still couldn’t find the right one for him. Not too long after, he received a Simpson postcard in the mail and decided to apply and visit the campus.

“There was something to be said about the atmosphere,” he said. “The way the professors were engaged, and the way the students attested to the resources and opportunities the college provided. From that day forward, I was sold.”

As a senior double majoring in accounting and sports management, Augustine has learned how to balance his social and academic life and has gained an amazing support system. He’s built invaluable relationships with both his professors and peers.

“The one person with the biggest influence would be Kyle McKim,” Augustine said. “He was my CA freshman year, but also my summer roommate a couple of years ago. He taught me so much about myself, what living for Christ looked like on a college campus, being dedicated to studies, but also finding time for myself and growing relationships I have made on campus.”

Even with supportive friends, Augustine’s college experience has not always been an easy ride. Living in a completely different state without knowing anyone, managing an increased workload and dealing with college affordability are hard challenges to overcome.

He decided to give up one thing he is truly passionate about: football.

“I made the extremely difficult decision to quit football and start working in order to shoulder the burden my parents were facing,” he said.

Although this decision wasn’t easy, the sacrifice he made allowed time for a 30- to 40-hour a week internship. Unlike several college students, Augustine’s plans for after graduation are already lined up.

“I have a full-time position after graduation at KPMG in Des Moines,” he said. “I hope to one day be the controller or CFO of a well-known company. I would also love to own my own chain of coffee shops in mountain towns throughout Colorado or college towns throughout Oregon.”

Aside from football, Augustine also enjoys roasting his own coffee, camping and hiking. He likes challenging his mental toughness and physical endurance when hiking the Rocky Mountains and loves taking in the scenery.

“The natural beauty of this world really puts things in perspective for me,” he said. “It shows me just how small I am and how Great God is.”

Along with his internship, Augustine is able to dedicate time to Simpson College Accounting Club as president and be a connection group leader for Light Company, which is the college ministry of New Heights Church in Indianola.

For Augustine, the Simpson experience has been a successful challenge. Although the beginning was rough, it’s improved and his hard work is paying off. If he could change anything about Simpson, he “would pick Simpson up and drop it in the mountains of Colorado, or in a small beach town.”

His advice to underclassmen would be to invest and remember the reason you are at college in the first place.

“Everyone says this is the greatest four years of your life and you will have a ton of fun, but do not lose sight of the reason you are here and more importantly, do not lose sight of yourself,” he said. “Invest in your relationships, these friends, coworkers, classmates and professors. They all play a crucial role on your journey, and they have all been placed in your life to make an impact that you can learn from.”

1 Comment

• Shirley Zentmire-Salas

Tanner, I have never met you but I am so proud of all you have accomplished. My brother Randy Zentmire and I are your cousins in Oregon ( originally California). He is CFO for Oregon State Bookstore and is retiring next April. I am a retired teacher ( finance & adult ESL). We both worked as we went through college, so we know the commitment it requires. Didn’t your Great Grandmother Lottie Rand Zentmire also attend Simpson? God bless you and we wish you continued success. Love, your cousin Shirley

[Reply]

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Campus Life

Engaged student couples talk marriage prep, balancing student life

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Lifestyles

Program tackles difficult questions regarding life, religion

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Entertainment

‘Tartuffe’ takes comical approach to today’s fake news

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Entertainment

Murphy Waggoner reflects on life through art

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Features

Ipsy: What is it and what are these pink packages?

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Lifestyles

Senior Spotlight: Olivia Anderson

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Features

Simpson Rotaract Club serves community with new events

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Entertainment

‘Picking up the pieces’: Art exhibit explores death, memory

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Entertainment

Farnham, Willis art galleries feature new exhibits

• Senior Spotlight: Tanner Augustine

Features

Freshman soars to tremendous heights with riveting hobby