Softball 2-2 in conference

by Carrie LaGree

The Simpson softball team won two of its four games last week, which brings its record to 14-6 on the year and 2-2 in the conference.

Simpson dropped two games to IIAC foe Wartburg last Thursday.

Wartburg needed ten innings to defeat the Storm 6-3 in the first game. Sophomore Alexis Quijano, senior Sarah Eggleston and sophomore Meghan Kelso went 2 for 5 to lead the Storm, but Wartburg’s three runs in the top of the tenth inning proved too much for Simpson to overcome.

Simpson failed to score a run in the second game of the doubleheader, which marked the tenth consecutive scoreless inning for the Storm last Thursday. Wartburg scored four runs in the top of the second inning. Simpson was unable to score on its five hits and left eight players on base.

After these two tough losses, Simpson rebounded to win both games at Dubuque on Saturday.

The Storm shut out Dubuque in both games, winning 4-0 and 10-0 as they handed Dubuque its first two conference losses this year.

Freshman Rebecca Siler and Kelso went 2-3 in the first game to lead the Storm. Kelso and Siler each had two RBIs. Despite scoring four runs on eight hits, Simpson left six players on base.

In the second game at Dubuque, the Storm dominated Dubuque by beating them 10-0. Junior pitcher Amy Kulisky threw a perfect complete game, giving up no hits and no walks. She struck out 13 of 21 batters.

Dubuque pitcher Stephanie Pieper also pitched a complete game, but with unimpressive statistics. Pieper gave up eight earned runs on thirteen hits. She struck out only five batters, while walking two and hitting Simpson shortstop Laura Halbrook with two pitches.

Offensively, sophomores Jill Carson and Michelle Montgomery went 2-3 for the Storm. Montgomery had four RBIs. Sophomore Krista Schuur and Quijano each had two RBIs.

The Storm play at Luther Saturday.