State school tuition takes another jump

by Julie Loven

An increase in tuition at Iowa’s three state schools will have an inadvertent effect on Simpson College and school officials say they are aware of what this could mean for Simpson.

The Iowa Board of Regents voted to increase tuition and fees at the three public universities by an average of 20.3 percent for in-state undergraduates and an average of 12.1 percent for out-of-state undergraduates, effective next summer.

With the 19.4 percent increase in tuition and fees at state schools this fall, many private colleges are becoming more attractive to students.

Dayna Sweeney, a freshman at Iowa State University, said the increase in tuition is not going to be good for her financially.

“I’m going to have to take out more loans,” she said. “If it becomes too big of a problem, then I’d consider transferring.”

Simpson freshman Katie Anderson, said, “It was actually cheaper for me to come to Simpson because there are so many more scholarships available.”

Student Development is working hard to keep in contact with potential students.

“We’re making extra contacts with people who have put in their deposits than we have in the past,” said Stephanie Krauth, associate dean of students, “We’re letting them know the housing process and welcoming them to Simpson.”

With high enrollment this fall, housing is an issue for school officials to look at for next fall.

“We’re very aware of it [the housing shortage] and we’re trying to find a way to get there,” said Krauth. “We’re looking into other means of housing.”

The process of developing a plan to house all incoming freshmen is in mid-process.

“We hope to have knowledge of all options and what’s available to students by the beginning of next semester,” said Krauth. “We’re going to try to form student groups so they can give us their input on where we should put everybody.”

According to Krauth, Simpson College will continue to add new programs to enhance the social opportunities at Simpson.

With the possibility of higher enrollment, the department of Residence Life will continue to support the efforts of the Campus Activities Board.

“We’re [Residence Life] a big supporter of the Stormy Nights program,” said Krauth. “We run Stormy Nights four nights a year just to take some of the burden off of CAB.”

“We are a team player and supporter when it comes to any events on campus,” she said.

According to an article in The Des Moines Register, Governor Tom Vilsak is opposed to the tuition increase. He said he hopes to work with the Legislature to make students who wish to continue their education more affordable. He hopes to accomplish this by restoring the work-study program and offering interest-free loans to students who stay in Iowa after graduation.