The Friday Line

by An Overview of the Week

Simpson among the best

U.S. News and World Report has named Simpson College to the top 10 list for comprehensive colleges in the Midwest – the sixth year in a row that the college has made the list.

Simpson ranked seventh on the regional list this year, based on academic reputation, graduation and retention rates, faculty resources and reputation as determined by peer institutions.

“Simpson provides a superb educational opportunity and, once again, the national press has recognized the quality of Simpson College and the Simpson Experience,” said R. Kevin LaGree, president, in a statement released by the college. “We could not provide a nationally recognized undergraduate experience without the creative and energetic commitment of our faculty, staff and trustees.”

Beware of credit cards

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Credit cards can be a quick and convenient way to pay for something if the cash is not immediately available, but they can also cause problems with debt.

Most negative blemishes will stay on a credit card report for seven years, according to the Uniform Consumer Credit Code on the Colorado Department of Law’s Web site.

“Now credit cards are fairly easy to get but not to manage,” said Sara Allen, executive director of the Fort Collins Consumer Credit Counseling Service.

Colleges shouldn’t censor

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The U.S. Department of Education issued a letter late last month to universities across the nation reminding them that campus speech regulations should not infringe upon First Amendments rights.

The letter, written by Gerald Reynolds, Office of Civil Rights assistant secretary at the University of New Mexico, outlines how universities should act during on-campus protests or any other time members of the university community are expressing their freedom of speech. It also clarifies and defines the parameters of regulating harassment issues.

New admissions policy

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – University of Michigan has unveiled a more individualized and essay-driven undergraduate admissions application in hopes of complying with the June Supreme Court ruling on affirmative action.

The new method – which will cost the university $1.5 to $2 million – will continue to take race into account as a factor, but will not employ a point system, as the former one did.