Dallinger brings new perspective to Simpson

by Vania Quiroz

New faculty member Carolyn Dallinger has joined Simpson’s SocialScience Department in her return to Iowa and the school where shereceived her first four years of education.

“I wanted to move back to Iowa,” said Dallinger. “When I readthat Simpson was looking for a teacher in the social work field, Iimmediately called Lora [Friedrich, head of the department].”

A Simpson alumni, Dallinger graduated in 1980 with a Bachelor ofArts in social work. Soon after, she began her career in socialwork at the Family Violence Center in Des Moines.

Years later, she moved to Seattle, Wash. to pursue a Master ofBusiness Administration in social work. Later she moved to Valdez,Alaska where she worked as the director of a domestic violenceprogram for about three years. After that, she moved to BatonRouge, La. , so she and her husband could earn law degrees.

One of Dallinger’s most memorable experiences during this periodof her life was working with her husband and the only lawyer ofValdez representing more than 300 people in the oil spill case of1989.

Dallinger was living in Bloomington, Illinois, where she and herhusband had started a law practice when she saw the newspaper adseeking a teacher for Simpson’s Social Sciences Department.Dallinger was well qualified for the position.

“Hiring someone with an MBA in social work was very importantfor the department,” said Friedrich. “Carolyn has the MBA and alsoa law degree, what makes it even better for us.”

Because of her job experiences, Dallinger said that she believesshe can help students in the social sciences field prepare forgraduation.

“[In class] I try to present what I’ve learned working,” saidDallinger.

Junior April Hurt, who is taking the Family Intervention Crisiscourse with Dallinger had positive things to say about the newfaculty member.

“Her classes are interesting and she gets the class to interactwith each other,” said Hurt.

Dallinger said that her goal at Simpson is to teach her studentshow they can apply their schoolwork to real life.

“I want to work with the students and help them to see theirfuture,” she said.

Although Dallinger admits that she doesn’t consider herself anexpert in the social work field, she said that she feels she canbring new ideas and experiences to Simpson.

“I’m here to help students think beyond where they are,” saidDallinger. “Education is more than just reading, it’s sharinginformation, expanding thoughts and respecting students for whatthey stand for.”