After the Storm

by compiled Jessica McDonald

Football

The Storm had a victorious Parent’s Weekend defeating the University of Dubuque 58-20. Senior quarterback, Mike Donnenwerth threw four touchdown passes in the first quarter. He totaled 242 yards for the day, playing in only the first half of the game.

Senior, Pete Kirwan, scored from the one-yard line to make a 51-0 half time lead for the Storm. Kirwan had 25 carries, 152 yards and three touchdowns for the day.

The Storm defense dominated against the Spartans causing six fumbles, three of which Simpson recovered. Four Simpson players recorded sacks for the game and sophomore James Hoffman and junior Kyle Westpahl each had an interception.

This is Simpson first 3-0 start since 1997.

Volleyball

Simpson volleyball continued their Iowa Conference success with a 3-1 win over the University of Dubuque on Sept. 23. The Spartans won the opening game, 30-22, but the Storm dominated the rest of the series with 30-21, 30-24 and 30-15 victories.

The Storm ended their 11 game winning streak at the Whitewater Invitational on Sept. 26. The #6 UW-Whitewater team defeated Simpson in the opening match of the tournament 3-2. But Simpson ended the day victoriously, once again defeating the University of Dubuque 3-0.

Simpson finished the tournament fifth after loosing their two matches on day two. Baldwin-Wallace defeated the Storm 3-1 and UW-Oshkosh won 3-0 to end the meet.

Men’s Soccer

Simpson’s soccer men were defeated 1-0 by Colorado College on Sept. 27. The Storm worked hard to tie the game, but the Colorado goalie was on top of his game. Four of his six saves were in the last 25 minutes of the game.

Women’s Tennis

After an 11-day break, the women’s Storm tennis team was on top of their game with a 6-3 victory over Wartburg College. Sophomore Tracey Schlitz, freshman Shelby Gierstorf, senior Amanda Byas and freshman Jessica Otto won their singles matches.

Over the weekend, the Storm women lost 7-2 to St. Ambrose at Loras College. Gierstorf won her singles match and her doubles match with sophomore Carrie Brannen.