Student increase leads to security increase

by Vania G. Quiroz

Due to the increase in students this semester, Simpson’ssecurity office has hired more employees. Simpson has four morestudents working in security than last year. With the addition ofthe Station Square apartments and the increased enrollment atSimpson the security staff would have struggled to keep studentssafe if more employees weren’t hired at the beginning of the fallsemester.

“The hiring of security staff members is determined by thestudent body enrollment figures,” said Chris Frerichs, director ofcampus security. “Hiring is also determined by the number of workstudy students who are interested in working security and thenumber who meet our employment requirements.”

During the week, Frerichs is in charge of security between 8a.m. and 4:30 p.m. After that, students cover the shifts from 4p.m. to midnight on weekdays and 8 a.m. to 3 a.m. on weekends.

Employees are required to do at least three full rounds pershift, compared to two rounds in the past.

Sophomore Jo Tebbe said that she feels more at ease now that thesecurity staff has increased their surveillance of campus.

“I think it will be beneficial for the students and will keepeveryone safe,” said Tebbe.

Although there is always an adult security member on-duty frommidnight to 8 p.m., Frerichs said that he would like to have moreadult personnel.

“I feel we currently have enough student security staff, but Ido see the need for more adult staff during the evening, weekendand overnight hours,” said Frerichs.

Resident assistants and community advisors are responsible forthe security of on-campus residents, so they rely on security staffwhen they need assistance.

“Increasing the security staff and the amount of rounds madearound campus was a wise decision,” said sophomore Becka Neary, aresident assistant in Kresge.