Paper should handle sex differently

by Kimberley Lamon, Senior

In response to Vista Kalipa’s Nov. 13 opinion piece, “Let’s talkabout sex,” I agree with Kalipa that by creating an open dialogueabout sexual issues, we can help prevent the spread of sexuallytransmitted infections as well as help prevent unwantedpregnancies.

On that note, I’d like to remind students and staff that Dec. 1was World AIDS day.

But I fail to see the relevance of the so-called “sex articles”in dealing with such issues.

In the Nov. 20 article, “Friends with benefits,” Laura Dillavouwrites, “One thing leads to another, and with the help of alcohol,a pseudo-relationship is made.” She later continues, “The nextmorning, both parties are left wondering what kind of obligationthere is to another.”

It’s never clearly addressed whether said parties usedprotection, thus should they be concerned with what other partinggifts their rendezvous has left them.

Like most of the articles, it’s never clear if the suggestedsubjects use protection, and it seems to be almost commonplace thatthe sexual partners are new acquaintances. Like Dillavou’s article,”Clothes organization for easy mornings,” she writes, “Finally, ifyou have somehow found yourself without a certain piece ofclothing, don’t fret. Hopefully, things between you and otherperson are at a level where you would feel comfortable enoughasking for it back.” She continues, “If not, then you’re SOL, myfriend. Better luck next time.”

Recently, I was reading North High School’s school newspaper,The Oracle, which had a full-page spread dealing with teenpregnancy.

Two stories specifically dealt with being a teen parent – onefrom the mother’s and one from the father’s perspective.

Another story dealt with eight contraceptives.

“Just remember,” The Oracle wrote, “sex may be fun, but it canresult in you becoming a parent or becoming infected with anSTI.”

I was proud that the North newspaper dealt with sex, not with apreachy, moralistic stance, nor with the extreme distaste and lackof respect for the subject, but with tact and in a way that allowedthe student readers to feel empowered with knowledge to make theirown safe decisions about the subject.

First as a student, second as an AIDS Project of Central Iowavolunteer, and third as a young woman concerned about my fellowreaders’ sexual health, I wish that these “sex articles” would dealwith this matter in a much more tasteful and tactful manner.

Students put themselves at risk for countless STI’s andpotential pregnancy when they have “random hook-ups” and “bootycalls.” Talking about sex is one thing, but talking about sex in amature, healthy and responsible way is another.

As writers for a college paper, I challenge you to meet thestandards of the articles set forth by those students at North HighSchool.

I would like to close with a reminder that condoms are availablefree to students on the nurse’s door, in student development.

Kimberley Lamon

Senior